Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Flying in to Vegas and drive from there may be suitable option. You will get hotels first and last night, good car rental options and proximity to GC/Zion national park and so on..

2. Default

OK...new question....I'm pretty much finishing up my trip and there is one day with an 8hr drive from San Diego to Flagstaff. I've been looking and it seems like a good halfway point to stretch and have lunch would be Quartzite. Do you guys agree or disagree or have any other suggestions? We are using that day as a driving day and do not want to stop over anywhere for the night. Thanks!

Going through Quartzsite is not the most efficient way to get from San Diego to Flagstaff. Take I-8 to Gila Bend, then AZ-85 north to I-10, take that east to Loop-303 north to I-17 north. Your halfway point would be either Dateland or Gila Bend. Dateland only has gas station food and an ice cream bar (and anything you can imagine that's made with dates), but Gila Bend has several fast food chains and a couple sit down restaurants.

Note - fill your gas tank in Yuma. The only gas between Yuma and Gila Bend is in Dateland, and it's expensive.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Going through Quartzsite is not the most efficient way to get from San Diego to Flagstaff. Take I-8 to Gila Bend, then AZ-85 north to I-10, take that east to Loop-303 north to I-17 north. Your halfway point would be either Dateland or Gila Bend. Dateland only has gas station food and an ice cream bar (and anything you can imagine that's made with dates), but Gila Bend has several fast food chains and a couple sit down restaurants.

Note - fill your gas tank in Yuma. The only gas between Yuma and Gila Bend is in Dateland, and it's expensive.
    Thank you so much!!! What do you think would be a better stop with the kids (12 and 16)? If I do this instead of Quartzite how much time does it save?

Dateland would probably be a better stop with the kids.

http://www.dateland.com/visit-dateland-arizona/

Going via Quartzsite will take at least half an hour longer and involves non-Interstate highways (CA-111 and CA-78 or US-95). It still puts you near Phoenix on I-10. AZ-85 from Gila Bend to I-10 is near-Interstate quality and is a popular bypass route. If you were thinking about taking I-15 to I-10, that takes even longer and gets you into the edge of LA traffic.

6. Default

OK Thanks! My next question has to do with Death Valley. We would like to visit one day from Vegas...would you guys recommend going before sunrise or at sunset...I know during the day it's way too hot. I was thinking getting up early and going around sunrise and head back to vegas once begins to get really hot. But maybe it's better in the evening?

Default Real Time Determination

Some general observations:

1) Visually/photographically, one can't really tell the difference between sunrise and sunset (with one exception discussed below).

2) One needs to keep in mind a bit of the physics of thermal stability. In the morning, that means that the desert will stay (relatively) cool for a while, and in the evening it will stay (fairly) warm. So even though the view won't be different, the temperature will.

3) The combination of (1) and (2) will result in a slight difference between images captured in the morning and evening. In the morning, the atmosphere will be thermally stratified in a stable situation. The air near the surface will be cool as it and the ground will have radiated much of their heat to the sky. In the evening the atmosphere will be unstable, with the ground and near-surface air having been heated during the day. This will result in 'shimmering' of the view (and mirages) as the turbulence caused by this temperature inversion disturbs the atmosphere.

So, whether you go in the morning or evening is up to you, what you want to experience, and what you want any images you capture of the experience to look like. That's all up to you, not us, and only you can determine, in real time, what the conditions are on any given day.

AZBuck

8. Default

That's just the info I was looking for...thanks!!!!! Based on what you said it will probably be cooler for a little longer if I go in the am. Thank you for that great explanation :-)
    Last edited by AZBuck; 02-22-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Quote of entire previous post removed