Default Map Geeks are going to love this article

So, you might know that Apple would like to supplant Google as the provider of choice for online maps. And they do have some incredible technology --

Here is an article that points out some of the differences, weaknesses and strengths of both kinds of programs.

Mark

Default But.....

Perhaps the most telling quote is this, just a few panels in:

"Four years in the making, it covers just 3.1% of the U.S.’s land area and 4.9% of its population:"

At that rate, it will take '"only" 129 years to complete the project!!! I don't expect it to take that long, but this is very far from being a practical application.

AZBuck

Default Their algorithms do create some interesting detail.

But if you read to the last few panels, somehow Apple has speeded up the production -- the latest projections put mapping of the USA land area in the next year or two.

Mostly what I found interesting was the AR errors that both Apple and Google make -- Although Apple seems to have more of them.

Their algorithms do create some interesting detail.

Mark

Give me a paper map most times anyway.....(sigh).....I like the electronic ones for finding traffic issues (though often times they're wrong on those too) and actual mileages....

Donna

Default Always have a fondness for paper maps but...

Paper maps have a place, of course, but they lack the kind of detail that electronic maps can provide.

Apple's mapping platform will always be more limited because it is a proprietary system (only Apple devices can access/participate) whereas Google and Bing maps are open to everyone. Most of Apple's maps appear to be focusing on vegetation--certainly in the article--but, really, I have the option of at least 3 views in Google maps: regular street view, topographical view and satellite view. Apple also has a serious limitation in using Yelp data as a backbone.

Paper maps don't do a whole lot for me in road trip planning but I always take them with me "just in case." I also like the regional and USA maps for sharpie marking my routes driven.

I also use GPS coordinates from electronic maps for plugging in locations for my Garmin since many location addresses are somewhat challenging or overly generalized (like on hwy A1A in FL, PCH in Calif, etc.). Not to mention driving in European countries (I can't even type in most address names in Eastern Europe, Germany, France...).

Default Have you looked at the RTA Library Maps?

Yes, as the electronic maps have gotten better, I find myself using them more and more.

I always carry paper maps in the car -- they work even when the network is offline!

I thought the writer of the article did a very good job at looking at the POI for Tom-Tom, Apple, Google, etc.

We use the Google Satellite view every day for placing the RTA RA icons in the proper place.

Have you looked at any of the RTA Library Maps we've built over the last year?

Mark

Default Navigational tips

There are several pages that provide access to the complete RTA Custom Maps Library Maps, but the easiest way is to:

1. go to the Advanced Maps page

2. Scroll down the left-hand side of the page and you will see a table labeled: "RTA Maps Library"

3. These maps are loaded by geographic area EAST, CENT, WEST, Off-Shore and you can click on any of them to see how they work.

4. They were designed to be instantly downloadable to RTA Member's accounts and then customized as much as members want for their own maps.

5. You can also use the vicinity search, using keywords and see maps in states all over North America.

Mark