Default A Senior Road Trip -- 48 States in 1966 Corvette

I received an email from Jeff Whitehurst the other day about an epic road trip he recently finished.

Photo by Jeff Whitehurst

Jeff wrote:
    This summer, I took a Senior Road Trip. I’m 67 and my car is 52 years old, so we were both “seniors”. I drove a 1966 Corvette to each state capital city in the lower 48 states just because it was something that needed to be done. Now that the trip is over, the car will be raffled off over the holidays and the excess proceeds donated to various charities in Austin, Texas.

The trip was personal, but my wife pointed me in the direction of various charities who could benefit from my adventure. I planned for nearly a year and used the route map prepared by Randall Olson, PhD at U Penn to cover ground quickly. I had not found your site before my trip, but I have another trip planned for next year. This year’s trip was also an attempt at a Guinness Record, but next year will not have the time limits and will be purely for me and a new charity.

Next year I will be driving a 1982 Jeep Grand Wagoneer to each National Park in the lower 48 states and the two in Alaska accessible by car from the ALCAN Highway. With a Tepui tent on the roof rack, the goal is to camp in each National Park at least one night. I checked with Guinness and someone has already done this trip, in under 100 days, so I’m just going to take my time and use your website in my planning

Jeff is not yet a RTA member, but I hope he joins and participates in the planning of his own trips and also shares some of what he has learned with other roadtrippers.

Mark

Everybody who knows me knows that I love Jeeps; my 2008 Grand Cherokee is my all time favorite ride, and it's hauled me faithfully all over North America. Once upon a time, I owned a 1982 Grand Wagoneer. (This was back when Jeep was still made by AMC, before Chrysler took over the brand). That thing spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. When I sold it, I was happy to get a thousand bucks for the carcass, and the buyer had to tow it out of my driveway. Just sayin'.

I wish Jeff all the luck in the world with the trip that he's planning; I just hope he has much better luck than I did with that Wagoneer!

Rick