Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Ok, I think I've made it work:

24 leave GC at lunchtime, drive to Zion
    25 leave Zion late afternoon, drive thru Las Vegas to Pahrump
    26 leave Pahrump early, drive up to Yosemite

It doesn't give us tons of time in Zion but my original plan was just to drive through the park, so this is better. ????
    Last edited by cdubya; 10-29-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: edit for format

Default Better, But...

It's a minimum of five hours from Grand Canyon Village to Zion National Park, and that's being generous. If you don't leave the Canyon until lunchtime, you most likely won't get to Zion in time to do anything but drive the approach road (UT-9, gorgeous in its own right, but it's not the same as the Park), and arrive so close to sunset that you'd have to take (expensive) lodging and try to do the main attraction of Zion, the hike back up Oak Creek, early the next morning. You'd then have another half day devoted to driving to get to Parhump - and that's assuming no stopping in Las Vegas. So, yes, this will work if you keep your expectations as to what you can accomplish in Zion to an absolute minimum.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    It's a minimum of five hours from Grand Canyon Village to Zion National Park, and that's being generous.
    I think Buck missed that you are visiting the North Rim, and not the South Rim/GC Village. From the North Rim, you're looking at 2.5-3 hours for this drive.

You'll be a bit rushed through both Zion and Death Valley, but I'd say this is still better than your plan to try to get from Zion to Tioga Pass via Death Valley in one day, which I don't think really was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I think Buck missed that you are visiting the North Rim, and not the South Rim/GC Village. From the North Rim, you're looking at 2.5-3 hours for this drive.
    Exactly. From the North Rim it isn't too bad of a drive and leaving GC at lunchtime will get us into Zion in the late afternoon. Then we'll have most of the next day to do the park. If we leave Zion in the late afternoon we'll get to Vegas just as the lights are coming on, drive through and see the lights from the car (not at all interested in stopping) then on to the hotel in Pahrump for bed. We'll be getting up early to get through Death Valley before it gets too hot and hope to make it to Yosemite...or, worst case scenario, we spend our first night just east of the park.

Mea culpa.

AZBuck

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Mea culpa.

AZBuck
    Ha ha. No need. This thread has gotten so long and gone through so many changes it's hard to keep track of what's going on. :D

CW

7. Default

Enjoy your planning. We have visited most of those places on different trips and loved our time in the parks. Moab is a good place to stay for Arches if you want a hotel and made a good base. Arches gets really busy - go either early or late if you don't want to sit in a queue of traffic.

Don't underestimate the size of Yellowstone. We did, and spent far longer in the car than we would have liked. If you have small kids you'll probably be up early anyway, but early starts were the best thing for us.

We loved Zion National Park and did some great walking there. The shuttle buses are very good and it's a stunning park.

San Francisco can be really expensive - it's worth considering Lombard Street as a place to stay as hotels like the Cow Hollow Motor Inn don't charge for parking.