1. Default American virgins

My family are travelling to New York in August 2nd to August 18th 2019. We will be staying in new York for 3 nights but then would like to hire a car and do a road trip coming back to Newark airport on the 18th to fly home to the UK.
    I have had a quick look and would like to drive up to Maine then cross over into Canada then down to Ottawa. Then view the Niagara falls cross back over into the USA and if possible join up and do some of the appelacian trail going as far south on the trail which time allows. We like to stay in traditional small boutique hotels / home stays / lodges ie small and quaint. We would like to see natural beauty and memorable sites and some Musial things too. I hope you can help and know it's a big ask. Regards Chris

Default New England (Including Ontario and New York State)

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, you've picked my favorite part of the North American continent, if not my favorite time of year. There will certainly be no shortage of great places to visit on a ten to twelve day loop through the northeast in August. For starters, let me give you some background reading on New England, Ontario, and Upstate New York.

There are also plenty of small, comfy inns and homes to stay in throughout this area. My wife usually does the shopping for our lodgings as she has an incredible eye for both value and charm. Without knowing exactly how she does it, I can tell you that one of her major criteria is the decor of the place. She says that if the host puts effort into how the place looks, they'll put effort into pleasing their guests as well. I would suggest some of the places we've stayed in the area, but many if not most of the B&Bs are now out of business due to just that tremendous effort. But do search through such vacation rental websites such as HomeAway, RedWeek, VRBO and others, or just do a search on {Town_name vacation rental}.

I assume that you meant "unusual" rather than "Musial". Just for your information, there was a famous American athlete (baseball) named Stan Musial, which is probably why some 'helpful' program auto-corrected your spelling. If you follow the links in the Ontario post above, you'll find a couple of dozen attractions, from the well-known to the highly unusual in every state and province.

AZBuck

I assume that you meant "unusual" rather than "Musial". Just for your information, there was a famous American athlete (baseball) named Stan Musial,
    And here I thought he might have meant "musical" or, perhaps, was interested in the Baseball Hall of Fame at Cooperstown, NY -- also doable on that trip, if he wanted. :-)

Donna

4. Default American Virgins

Thanks for the information

yes i did mean unusual and not Musial

So after spending a few days in New York would a 3 day drive to main be a good idea or is this too short a trip. Would you just drive straight into main and find a place to stay
    If so can you recommend where to stay in maine.
    Then after Maine we could cross over into Canada spen a while in Canada and cross over by Niagra falls
    After this where would you recommend

Again thanks for the info much appreciated

If you plan to go across into Canada, be sure to clarify this with your car rental company. They will need to have the proper papers prepared for border crossing.

Your original trip idea sounded good, why not plot it out on paper and see how it works out?

Donna

I'm a little unclear of your plans.

So after spending a few days in New York would a 3 day drive to main be a good idea or is this too short a trip. Would you just drive straight into main and find a place to stay
    Are you thinking of spending 3 days driving to Maine, or do you want to spend 3 days in Maine? Either way, that should be possible though.

Also, other than Niagara Falls, what parts of Canada do you hope to see? Despite having a long border with Canada, there actually aren't many places to cross from Maine into Canada, and most of them actually cross into New Brunswick, which is a beautiful and unique province, but is a very long way from Niagara Falls. (You might even consider going to New Brunswick/Prince Edward Island/Nova Scotia instead of going over to Niagara Falls)

There's no specific "best place" to stay in Maine, it depends upon your interest and what you are looking for. I would really suggest you go back and take a look at the links Buck provided for ideas as well as his recommendations for finding places to stay.