1. Default Lonliest road HWY 50 ACCOMODATION

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since last road trip in USA. I am Irish and would like to drive HWY 50 in Nevada. I am flying into Vegas, I have been here before.

I would like advice on accommodation along route , I love your Band B in USA , are there any along this route?

What should I not miss along the Nevada route?

I am going in late September 2019.

Thanks in advance

Default An unforgettable road.

There is a passport available for you to get marked at all the attractions along the way. I do not recall how or where I got mine, but one of the tourist places should have them. Maybe it is even on the web.

The first time I drove this road - in 2001 - I just kept being amazed how each mountain pass took you into a valley very different from the last one. I was amazed at the variety in the landscape.

These days it is not as lonely as it used to be. Chances are you will see a few vehicles. That year I drove from Richfield to Reno without seeing a single vehicle. Starting with a full tank so that I did not need to fiuel up at the high prices along the road.

There are some side tracks (minor roads) but I have never beeing game to check those out. It's a great road trip.... just for the sake of the road.

Lifey

Default Tell us more.

Hello and welcome back to the RTA forums !

Well Great basin NP is a great place to visit and has a great drive up to Wheeler peak. There are nearby lodgings including the Border Inn which is part in Nevada and part in Utah, it's pretty basic though. Some nice towns along the way such as Ely but what exactly are your plans ? How much time do you have? On the way from (or back to) Vegas you could take US93 which goes past Cathedral Gorge and through the quaint little town of Pioche. If you are returning to Vegas you have all sorts of options, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Death valley and so on, so tell us more.

Where are you planning on getting on US-50, and where are you planning on leaving it?

The only lodging, and services of any kind, between Fallon and Ely are in Austin and Eureka. Other than what Dave said, there's nothing between Ely and Delta, UT.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies , Guys.

I will fly into Vegas and leave from Vegas. I have 15 days and would like to do a circular tour via HWY50. I have been to Yosemite and Death Valley before but would like to see things I have never been to.

I would suggest the following:

Take I-15 north out of Las Vegas to Ash Springs, then NV-375 (E.T. Highway) through Rachel to see the Little A'le'Inn, to US-6 to Tonopah. Take US-95 north to Fallon to pick up US-50 east. Take that into Utah to I-15 south back to Las Vegas.

Note that there is NO FUEL between Ash Springs and Tonopah. The Little Al'e'Inn has a snack bar and some very basic motel rooms, I think they are old house trailers.

If you have no desire to visit Rachel, you can just take US-95 out of Las Vegas to Tonopah and Fallon.

If you want to go through Death Valley again, you can take US-395 north to Carson City to pick up US-50.

Now, if you have time to spare, on the way back to Las Vegas, you can visit some of the Utah parks such as Bryce Canyon and Zion.

Have you looked at other options along with travelling "The Loneliest road" ? With 15 days you have lots of options that you could include as part of the trip or are you just focused on US50 ? For example you could head all the way out to Colorado Springs and take US50 back to Sacramento or as suggested above, you could check out some of the parks in Southern Utah, perhaps the Grand canyon. If you share some basic info with us we can be of much more help. US50 is an interesting road, but at the end of the day it's a road. What exactly are your interests and goals for the trip ?