1. Default LA to Rushmore/Yellostone in 100k car - is it advisable?

Next summer I intend to travel to Rushmore and Yellowstone in my 100k Civic ('13). My car doesn't have any major issues, was serviced regularly, and had the spark plug replaced, although some unscrupulous mechanics told me my car had additional problems which will cost a pretty penny. I travel by myself.

Should I make the trip with the civic, rent a bigger car, or just fly to Denver and try my luck from there? Which would be more advisible? Time is not an issue.

Welcome to RTA!

As long as the car is given a clean bill of health by a reputable Honda dealer or independent shop, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't drive it. I have a 2003 Ford F-150 with 192k miles that I would not hesitate jumping into today and making a cross country trip.

3. Default

Thank you for your help - OK then I will just show it to a reputable mechanic before I start my journey next summer..

Default Only You Know for Sure

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums

You're asking us questions that only you can answer. Where we can help you is to point out a few of the things that should go into your deliberations. First off, in today's world, a 5 year old car with a hundred thousand miles on it should still be in fairly decent shape if, as you say, it's been properly maintained. Given that you just had it looked at by "some unscrupulous mechanics", I'd suggest that you have it thoroughly gone over by someone you can trust. If they say it's fine then that's one less thing you have to worry about.

As for the general debate about whether it's better to use your own car, rent one for the entire journey, or fly/rent - that is really a personal decision. I've done all three as the circumstances dictated. Really, the decision to drive or fly comes down to distance/time considerations. If you've got the time and want to see what's in between your home and your destination, then driving could very well be the way to go. Obviously the farther away your destination, the more likely it is that flying will not only save you time but money as well. Remember that if you drive, you have to pay for not only the gas, but food and lodging along the way. If you're not making use of the drive to stop and see things along the way, then that could all be a waste.

If you do decide to drive, you should try to take two completely different routes there and back to get the most out of it. I will also tell you that highway miles are the easiest on your car, causing the least wear and tear, and getting the best mileage. Also, you'd be more familiar with your own car and its handling characteristics and 'quirks'. On the other hand, a rental would be a 'new' car, probably less than a year old, and any breakdowns that occur during your trip would be the rental company's problem. You would just contact their nearest franchise, get a replacement vehicle, and continue on your way. If you've already got over a hundred thousand miles on your car, a few more are not going to affect the resale value much.

So, those are some of the major things to contemplate as you decide what's best for you. And certainly, once you make that major decision, we can offer more detailed suggestions on routes to take, things to see, etc.

AZBuck

If time is not an issue and your car gets a clean bill of health, even if it need a little spending on it, then I would go with it and save on flight and rental costs. For reassurance you could join a motoring organisation such as AAA for added peace of mind.