Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Some 'Walkabout' Suggestions

Since you're going to be spending a a day or two in each of Philadelphia, Washington, and Toronto, but don't like museums, here are a few great places to just walk around in those cities and get a feel for them.

Philadelphia: Independence Mall of course, but that's fairly museum-like in some ways; Elfreth's Alley including the nearby Betsy Ross House for a taste of colonial Philly; and the Italian Market along S. 9th Street for a taste of tastes.

Washington: The National Mall is lined with world-class museums, mostly various divisions of the Smithsonian Institute, but it's literally THE place to walk and see most of what you think of as Washington including the Capitol, the White House, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial, as well as 'smaller' memorials to Vietnam, Korea, and World War II among many, many others. I'd also suggest that you take a day and get down along the Potomac River where you'll find not only great walking trails along the river but also the Roosevelt and Jefferson Memorials, and the Tidal Basin.

Toronto: I'm not nearly as familiar with this great city, but Yonge Street is the heart of the metropolis and I have certainly enjoyed their zoo. I also found an outfit that offers free walking tours where you might get more ideas.

As I noted earlier, I probably wouldn't use Detroit as either a way point or overnight stop, but rather return to the US via Niagara Falls and follow the southern shore of Lake Erie to Sandusky, using NY-5/PA-5/OH-5 as much as possible, and I-90 when I needed to make time, while visiting a few lakeside parks such as Evangola, Presque Isle, and perhaps the Rockefeller Park Greenhouse. I will also suggest one, and only one, museum that your teenagers might like, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

And finally, while you're in the Sandusky area for Cedar Point Amusement Park, consider taking a day out on the water to one or more of the Bass Islands.

2. Default

Thank you again for your great help, your have been so helpful
    Last edited by AZBuck; 09-12-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Removed quote of entire previous post

3. Default Why is Hertz so much cheaper than others?

Looking at getting a car hire from Buffalo to Chicago for 6 days in July, Hertz comes up at £275 but all others start at £476 ( I am from UK)

Does anyone know why such a huge diffference , are Hertz ok to use?

Thanks for any advice

Moderator Note: Again, Please keep all questions about this trip in the same thread.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-29-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Merged Threads Again

Hertz is one of the major US brands, and probably the brand I personally use most often.

It's hard to say what the reason might be for the difference. It could be as simple as they expect to need more cars in Chicago and are reducing the rate to help encourage rentals or the site you are looking at is just having a sale. I will say in the quick looking I did, Hertz wasn't really much different in price than the other companies.

I'd make sure you're actually comparing apples to apples - that your dates, times, pickup and drop off points are all actually the same, and also make sure the price you are looking at is the final price with everything included - not a base price before taxes and fees.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Hertz is one of the major US brands, and probably the brand I personally use most often.

It's hard to say what the reason might be for the difference. It could be as simple as they expect to need more cars in Chicago and are reducing the rate to help encourage rentals or the site you are looking at is just having a sale. I will say in the quick looking I did, Hertz wasn't really much different in price than the other companies.

I'd make sure you're actually comparing apples to apples - that your dates, times, pickup and drop off points are all actually the same, and also make sure the price you are looking at is the final price with everything included - not a base price before taxes and fees.
    Thank you for reassuring me, although when I do put my dates and times in the other companies all still come up as over double the price, but good to hear your experience with Hertz is good so will stick with them.

Have you tried using a consolidator such as rentalcars.com?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Have you tried using a consolidator such as rentalcars.com?
    Hi, yes, I have got this price through rentalcars.com as they appear quite a bit cheaper than going direct with Hertz.

That probably explains the lower price - they negotiated a special bulk rate with Hertz that they're passing onto you.

It would make sense to sign up for Hertz "gold" loyalty program. It's free and once your registered you can just show up at the lot, grab any car you'd like from the "gold" area, and drive off (checking out at the exit). You do have to reserve at least a midsized car, and that may not work when booking on this deal through a third party, but it is nice, saves time, and lets you pick your car rather than being stuck with whatever they assign you, if you'd qualify.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    That probably explains the lower price - they negotiated a special bulk rate with Hertz that they're passing onto you.

It would make sense to sign up for Hertz "gold" loyalty program. It's free and once your registered you can just show up at the lot, grab any car you'd like from the "gold" area, and drive off (checking out at the exit). You do have to reserve at least a midsized car, and that may not work when booking on this deal through a third party, but it is nice, saves time, and lets you pick your car rather than being stuck with whatever they assign you, if you'd qualify.
    Great, thank you for the advice