1. Default Chicago to Seattle, possibly....

New to the forum, my first post. From the UK. We are considering doing a road trip from Chicago, via Yellowstone, to Seattle. We have had a fair number of road trip holidays in the USA but never been to the above places. The trip would be for about 20 days and possibly in June 2019. As we would be going more or less east to west across the top/middle of the states is June a good time to do this weather wise? If we do this is there a best route, places not to miss and equally places not worth stopping for? Thank you. Michael

Default A starting point.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Spring/summer come late to Yellowstone but through June the park is up and running and it's a good time to visit. To answer your other questions, no there is no single 'best' route and no generic places you must see or must avoid, it all comes down to your own personal tastes and that's the beauty of creating a unique road trip, you get to go where you want. You haven't told us much of your interests or goals for the trip but you could possibly drive from Chicago to Seattle in 4 days so 20 gives you a good chance to wander. Badlands NP, Mt Rushmore and the Black hills area, the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier NP, Mt Rainier and Olympic NP to the west of Seattle are all possibilities. I would suggest you do a little research and study a decent map and start to plot out the places that appeal to you. Once you do that you can start to join the dots and a route will start to take shape. Once you have the basics sorted we can help fill in any blanks and answer any specific questions to help you on your way. One thing worth noting is that doing a one way trip will possibly cost more in flights and a significant one way rental charge on your vehicle.

I've gone to Montana by motorcycle during the third week in June in the past two years and been ok. (just some thunderstorms last year)

But June in those latitudes can still occasionally bring some snow. So plan on bringing not only hot weather clothing but also some warmer clothing for the odd chilly excursion.

I've gone fly fishing in Montana in June when there was a fresh 3 inches of snow on the ground.

Since you are doing advance planning you might find it satisfying to study about the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804-1805 where the remote part of what is now the US was first explored by scientific europeans/americans.

If you don't care for driving on I90/I94 then US Highway 2 can get you from upper Michigan all the way to North of Seattle near Everett WA. There is a bit of rerouting but can be well worth it.

It's great route with several interesting places such as Glaciers NP, Leavenworth WA, Weantchee WA, Spokane WA, Shelby MT and several small towns and points of interest.

Note that 20 days might be tight time frame for trip like this but doable.

Just last week, I noticed a British retired couple on HWY 2 with newer right-hand drive HYMER RV with UK plates.