Hi all! My bf and I are moving out to San Fran from NJ and have to bring the car so we will be driving out on Aug 18th. We have no set day that we have to be there by- just trying to make it in one piece and see the most/ have the most fun possible on the way! I was hoping for advice and what other people thought about the plan. Background: we are both in our mid 20s and looking to see some awesome nature! We enjoy good night life but trying to make this more of a scenic trip if anything. Also we are planning in stopping in Denver to visit some friends. We are trying to make it to CO from NJ as quick as possible (2 days?) as there really is nothing between the two that we are interested to see, rather save more time for the West. We have a couple route options after stopping in Denver, but need help deciding. This kind of depends on whether we go to LA or not. We have people to stay with in LA so that wouldnt be an issue, but then again it isn't a must as we wont be too far and can make a trip there another time. All times don't include stopping on the road....
- Sat Aug 18: Drive half way to Denver and spend the night ~around St. Louis area? Approx. 14.5 hrs ... maybe should make this stop closer? Idk
- Sun 19: Make it to Denver! Approx 12 hr from St. Louis
- Mon 20 & Tues 21: Spend some time in Denver!
- Wed 22: Leave for Moab, UT ~5.5 hrs
- Thur 23: Spend day in Moab!
- Fri 24: Drive to Grand Canyon ~6 hrs? Depends where we go in GC
- Sat 25: Spend time in GC!
- Sun 26: Drive to LA ~7.5 hr
- Mon 27: Spend time in LA and eventually make our way up to SF
^^^^ Open to altering this route to maybe see Canyonlands or Antelope Canyon instead, okay with not seeing GC if it will be too busy this time of year? Open to suggestions.
- Wed 22: Leave for Yellowstone, WY ~8.5 hrs
- Thur 23 and Fri 24: Enjoy Yellowstone
- Sat 25: Leave for SF????
- Sun 26: stop somewhere cool in-between?
- Mon 27: Chill?
- Tues 28: Get to SF?
Nothing in this trip we HAVE to go to other than Denver and ending up in SF. Open to any and all suggestions - especially driving suggestions for the scenic route. We are open to doing a mix of staying in hotels and camping. Looking to do some cool stuff depending where were going like rafting. I am aware this is very last minute, so anything helps!