1. Default Tetons/Yellowstone/Rushmore - too ambitious

Hi

4 kids (17 - 22) and I are headed to a wedding in Idaho Falls on Sept 7th. Would love to fly into SLC rent a car, then Idaho Falls/Tetons/Yellowstone and maybe Rushmore/Badlands and fly out of Denver but we only have 6 days. Potential itin would be
    Sept 7th SLC/Idaho Falls
    Sept 8/9/10 Idaho Falls to Yellowstone via Tetons
    Sept 11 Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore
    Sept 12 Rushmore to Denver via Badlands

Is this too ambitious -- better to spend the time doing Tetons/Yellowstone in and out of SLC and save ND for another trip (these are fewer and fewer as my kids grow up :-()?
    Add a day if possible - where?
    Wanted to spend the night in Jackson, but will a drive though do given that Idaho Falls is only a couple of hours away?
    Of course too late to get accommodation in YS itself -- what do you suggest 2 nights West and 1 nigh North entrance area?

Been reading the other posts and can not quite figure out if this itin will work or will mean we miss more than we see (as so often happens!). Appreciate any guidance!

Donna

Default Take the time to enjoy.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Personally I would concentrate your time in the Tetons and Yellowstone as you really need 3-4 days to get around the parks and enjoy the attractions. You could add a couple of extra's, perhaps Cody and drive the Beartooth highway and even visit Craters of the Moon. I think you will be way to stretched to really enjoy all the places listed with the time you have.

Quote Originally Posted by donnsmac View Post
    Sept 11 Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore
    Sept 12 Rushmore to Denver via Badlands
    It can be easy to underestimate just how far apart things are in the west, and this would really be a prime example. Each of those drives are 500+ miles, including significant time on 2 lane roads, that means you'd be looking at a minimum of 10 hours on the road each of those days, which doesn't leave any time left to actually see those places you are driving so far to see (And there's no way you'd have time to catch a flight at the end of it, even if it was a flight at the very end of the day!)

Yellowstone is a huge place, and 2.5 days (factoring in time to drive from ID Falls) is really a bare minimum amount of time, and would just be scratching the surface.

If you spent all of the time you've got at Yellowstone/Teton you're certainly not going to be bored, nor come close to seeing "everything." When you also factor in the slower pace that will come with traveling with a group of 5, and the time you'll also need to drive back to SLC, I think focusing your effort and time on those 2 parks, with possibly a quick tour of some of the places that Dave mentioned, or even SLC itself, would be a much better use of your time than trying to race out to South Dakota for barely a glimpse of the attractions out there.

4. Default

Thanks Dave and Michael, just the sort of advice I needed! We will stick to YS and Tetons, you have saved me from the brink :-). Will check out Cody and Craters of the Moon. Any must do's for Tetons?

Again, appreciate your advice!!!

Near to the Tetons you have Mormon row which has been made famous through photo's of the Barn with the Tetons in the background. In the park a boat trip on Jenny lake is pretty cool and there is a twisty drive up Signal mountain that has decent views.