Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles to chicago

Los Angeles to Chicago in few weeks to where I will reside for few years. Planning I15 tho the 70. Thinking about 4 to 5 days on the road, doing about 500miles per day. Any suggestions on places to stay for rest or places to eat on the way would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Default Other Interstates Needed, Other Tempos Available

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I-70 does not go to Chicago. You will need to leave it in Denver and take I-76 up to connect with I-80 east to finish your journey to Chicago. At just a hair over 2,000 miles, you could complete this journey in four days driving a comfortable 500 miles per day, or you could stretch it out a bit, take five full days, and only cover 400 miles/day. You could also mix and match longer driving days (500 mi. or so) with some shorter days where you spend a bit of time visiting and exploring an attraction along the way that appeals to you. All of those variables mean that you're going to have to sit down to figure out what you might like to see on your journey and which timing options appeal to you before you can even begin to figure out where you'll be staying on a given night.

AZBuck

AZBuck has given you excellent advice. If I may add to it, you *can* take I-70 to get to Illinois, but it means going through two very large, heavy traffic cities: Kansas City and St Louis. Then you'll have to take either I-55 or I-57 up to Chicago, depending on your specific goal in greater Chicagoland.

A few tips on lodging and eating: First, once you figure out your day-to-day travels and figure out where you are going to stop overnight, you can start looking for your lodging. You can either take potluck on whatever you find there, perhaps using coupons to get good deals, or you can make reservations. There are many brands of motels to choose from, and some come under large corporate umbrellas (Wyndham, Choice International, Marriott, Drury, Hilton) and others are locally-owned "mom and pop" motels. The larger corporate umbrellas usually offer incentive programs to get you to stick to their brands, and they offer free stuff. (Hubby and I are working on getting the last two nights of this trip free.)

As far as eating is concerned: most motels, with the exceptions of most mom-and-pops and Motel 6, offer free breakfast. It's usually some form of continental breakfast, though we're finding that more are starting to offer waffle makers and either scrambled or hard boiled eggs to the menu. (It depends on the brand and the local area.) For lunches, we've either given in to the fast food places, or we'll do a search on TripAdvisor for a local diner with good ratings. For dinner, ask when you're checking into a motel. If you are specific with them, they usually will suggest something besides the Denny's next door or the burger place across the street.

Hope this helps!

Donna

4. Default

I booked first night hotel in Richfield Utah, second night in Denver, third night in Omaha. Day 4 I will arrive in Chicagoland area. Each day will be about 500 miles driving so should be alright depending on any storms.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I-70 does not go to Chicago. You will need to leave it in Denver and take I-76 up to connect with I-80 east to finish your journey to Chicago. At just a hair over 2,000 miles, you could complete this journey in four days driving a comfortable 500 miles per day, or you could stretch it out a bit, take five full days, and only cover 400 miles/day. You could also mix and match longer driving days (500 mi. or so) with some shorter days where you spend a bit of time visiting and exploring an attraction along the way that appeals to you. All of those variables mean that you're going to have to sit down to figure out what you might like to see on your journey and which timing options appeal to you before you can even begin to figure out where you'll be staying on a given night.

AZBuck
    Thank you great advice! I am doing exactly like you mentioned. 4 days driving. Three nights booked already along the route. 15, 70, 76, to the 80.

You have a good solid plan and get to enjoy (probably) the most scenic Interstate of them all at a relaxed pace, I-70. If you wanted a scenic detour that doesn't eat up much time you could drive across the continental divide over Loveland pass at almost 12000ft. To do so leave I-70 and take US6 through Dillon and enjoy the views up the top.

7. Default

Was just looking on the map of scenic detour. Do you know about how long it takes? Also are there any tolls on 70 that I should be ready for with cash? Thank you for info.

There are no tolls on I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80 till you get to the Chicago area, and you should be able to find a toll-free way to get where you are going. If you can give me a location I can suggest the best way to get there from I-80. If you are going to be living in the Chicago area and using the tollway system, buy an I-Pass. It will save a lot of time, and electronic tolls are 1/2 the cash tolls. Note that some of the tollway system has started to convert to electronic-only, no cash accepted. The I-Pass also works on the EZ-Pass system in Indiana and points east.

The US-6 "detour" over Loveland Pass should not take any kind of considerable time. Google Maps suggests an extra 21 minutes, so even with making some stops to look at the scenery it shouldn't take more than an hour extra.

9. Default

Thank you guys so much for the awesome info. My only only question let is on my route is there any particular food stops you would like to recommend? Growing up in Los Angeles I have eaten just about every cultures food and love it all. Mainly looking for real bbq!

Just caution that some toll road entries are IPass only in Chicagoland. That will require to pay online within 7 days before service charges and late fees kick in without driver's knowledge.