Hybrid View

Default Just in Time - Rick Quinn’s Arizona & New Mexico book

Last night I attended the book talk and signing in Tucson by Rick Quinn for his new book, “Arizona & New Mexico:25 Scenics Side Trips”. It was well attended at Mostly Books and besides meeting Rick, I also got to meet AZBuck. The book is excellent, so well written with great details and beautiful photographs. I could say it was so well done that upon getting a copy I immediately planned a trip based on his information. Actually we’ve trying to get over to New Mexico for several months, but had problems scheduling a week to get away.

A couple of weeks ago we carved out this coming week for a road trip to New Mexico. We won’t be completing any of his loops, as written, but we will be criss-crossing several of the loops. So, I thought I’ll fashion this RoadTrip Field Report around his book. So getting his book is just in time for this trip. We head out tomorrow, Sunday. Not sure I’ll be able to post along the way, but will update when we return.
    In the meantime you can follow along the trip by viewing my posts on Instagram - Srjrranger

Pat:

It was a pleasure to meet you the other night (not to mention AZBuck and Jaimie)! The main reason I wrote the book was to inspire other travelers to have adventures they might not have had otherwise, and to promote the kind of "off the Interstate" road trips that have always brought me so much joy. Here's to the freedom of the open road: scenic byways, spectacular sunsets, and all the beauty in the world. We're looking forward to your trip report. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Rick Quinn

Default White Sands Sunset

As you may know, Rick writes a monthly article with insider tips about taking road trips in the American southwest and beyond. Today's post has some gorgeous photos captured at the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico.

Photo by Rick Quinn.

Default Already Planning

The timing of Rick's book and talk could not have been better for my wife and myself. Our plans for a late summer getaway from Tucson's heat recently fell through and we had already more-or-less decided on a staycation instead. But when we got home after Rick's presentation and started going through his book, we decided to look further into some of the nearby New Mexico locations he describes (and photographs) so well.

There is so much that remains out of sight to the usual guidebooks that concentrate on the 'must see' venues, and it takes a certain mindset to realize that many 'must see' sites lose their luster when you have to fight crowds just to get near them. Thank you, Rick, for pointing us to some of the just as noteworthy places where one can still enjoy magnificent scenery, significant history, and wonderful open spaces that are still in their natural setting.

AZBuck

Buck:

Thank you sincerely for the kind words! Coming from an RTA Guru and Moderator, that truly does mean a lot! My book IS different from the usual travel guide, and I was initially concerned that people wouldn't appreciate those differences. Based on the many wonderful reviews we've received, and ongoing positive commentary from experts like yourself, I think it's safe to say that I needn't have worried!

Rick

Default Day 1 - 4/15/18 Tucson to Show Low

This trip was for us to achieve several goals based on our diverse hobbies; letterboxing, passport stamps (NPS, BLM, NWR, & NFH), historic post offices and enjoying natural history along the way. Based on Rick Quinn’s “Arizona and New Mexico: 25 Scenic Side Trips” I thought it would be interesting to match our route with the book, where they crossed. What it did show me is there is so much in Arizona and New Mexico to explore. I am in awe of Rick’s book; the routes, the details he provided and his selection of side trips.
    So this will be our trip, with side notes relating to Rick’s book, with pages cited. We left Tucson, from the east-side, and picked up AZ 77 at Ina and Oracle Rds., (p. 117 - 120). While traveling through Oro Valley, a northern suburb Tucson, I took a picture of the ranch brands mounted on a concrete wall along the side of the road, at the entrance to a Hilton resort.

Brands

Further up the road is the entrance to Catalina State Park, which I have camped at and hiked numerous miles over the past 35 years. Such a great park with a variety of events, (https://azstateparks.com/catalina/)

Catalina State Park

We only followed Scenic Side Trip (SST) #8 for a short distance until we peeled off and continued on AZ 77, passing Biosphere 2 then traveling through Winkleman, to Globe. From there we picked up US 60 heading NE into Salt River Canyon, SST #11, (p. 165-169). The book gives some great background on the Salt River Canyon. He mentions the rest area at the bottom of the canyon, a favorite stop of ours.

View from the restroom at Salt River Canyon - best view from any restroom!

Old bridge

Salt River Canyon

Before reaching Show Low we turned off US 60/AZ 77 to stop by Fort Apache for a historic post office picture. My husband is building a website to provide pictures and dates of any building in Arizona that is over 50 years old and was a post office at some point during its existence. The drive around Ft Apache is interesting, interpretive signs are in front of all of the buildings, giving great details. During the week a visitor center is a good place to start your visit. From the information my husband has, this may be the oldest post office building in Arizona in continuous use.

Ft Apache Post Office

Before ending the day we stopped in Lakeside-Pinetop for a short hike at the Billy Creek Connector, it brought us to a lush overlook down into Billy Creek. Great trails, well signed throughout this area, as part of the White Mountains Trail System.

Billy Creek

We ended the day at Show Low County Lake Campground with a campsite in the pines. For $30 we got a spacious site with electricity and access to showers. It was much cooler than Tucson, at 6800 ft, so the electric was nice to be able to run our small heater for evening reading.

Wildlife sightings
    Steller’s Blue Jay
    Common Raven
    Canada geese
    Mallard
    Killdeer
    American Crow
    American Coot
    Wild Turkey
    Red-tailed Hawk
    Northern Flicker

Ground squirrel