Frequent viewer of this site and many time road trip veteran of the lower 48 as well as the Canadian provinces (I am from the UK).
My wife and I are heading across to San Francisco early May for a 3 week trip this time and have the route all planned out with hotels booked. We have the yearly National Park pass so plan to use it again (we did a 5,500 mile similar trip last September) but we were a bit unsure if some of the higher passes will be open late May. The ones we hope to travel on in the Beartooth Highway (4 x 4 vehicle), Blackbear and Ophir (rented motorcycle) and perhaps the Bolam pass again with the 4 x 4. Can we expect any of these routes to be open mid to late May?
Our route is as follows (note that I have driven all the US states, know the distances involved and how far I can drive safely in a day).
1. San Jose, California (U2 Concert)
2. Florence, Oregon
3. Portland, Oregon (Two nights, Peter Hook concert)
4. Vancouver, British Columbia
5. Revelstoke, British Columbia
6. Coeur d,Alene, Idaho (Glacier National Park)
7. Great Falls, Montana
8. Cody, Wyoming
9. Evanston, Wyoming
10. Salt Lake City, Utah (two nights)
11. Telluride, Colorado (two nights)
12. Durango, Colorado
13. Sedona, Arizona
14. Palm Desert, California
15. San Diego, California
16. Santa Barbara, California (two nights)
17. Monterey, California