Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default SOUTH ISLAND NEW ZEALAND Nov 17

We have wanted to see the wild flowers (Lupins) in the South Island New Zealand for the last 4 years but a few problems stopped us. The Lupins which arn't native to NZ come out about mid November. Some people see them as pests but they are a major tourist attraction with all there colors and are mostly in rugged land by streams or lakes. We had planned on being back to travel the Mid West and over to the East of USA but have had to delay it. We needed a break so we decided on the South Island and booked and flew out from Brisbane about 3 days later, arriving in Christchurch on the afternoon of the 18th November. Picked up our rental car from Ezi car rental at the airport and headed for our motel Parkview on Hagley which looks over Hagley Park. As it dosn't get dark until after 9pm, we decided to go for a walk through centre of park into Christchurch city for a look. Park was beautiful with all its gardens but city was devastated. We were there last in March/April 2009 and it was a beautiful city but after the quake in 2011, its a mess. Lots of rebuilding going on but at the rate its going will probably be another 20 years before its back to its glory. We have pics from 09 that we will never get again. I will try and post an 09 one here as well as ones from now.

This one taken in 09

Same building. 2017

Part of the container mall.

Met my great great great grandfather in Christchurch. As you can see, he was real proud of me. :)

Next day we had to find a hospital as I had left my wash bag containing my blood pressure tablets at home. I knew I could get away with one day without them but wasn't sure about any longer hahaha. Waited 2 hours to see a doctor and it took him 2 minutes to check the pressure and write a script. That was $100nz. I wont forget next time.

Earlier in the day, we went into Hagley Park to look at the beautiful gardens including Rose gardens. Stunning huge roses. all colors.

Entrance to rose garden.

Next day Monday the 20th, we headed out of town to the West coast via Arthurs Pass. Beautiful drive with lots of photo opportunities. All the different shades of color bring another WOWW when you go around the next corner.

These pics were all on the drive through Arthurs Pass.

On to Hokitika, pronounced Ho key tick a. Nice little town on the West Coast. Few pics and some lunch.

Hokitika sign made out of drift wood.

Main St.

Plenty of big chairs around.

We headed on down to Franz Joseph Glacier village.

Couple of big Moa birds. Native to NZ. I watched them for a while but they didn't do anything.

Main Street Franz Joseph.

We carried on down to Fox Glacier Village where we stayed the night. Lake Matheson is just out of town and we were hoping for a great day the next morning.

Where we had dinner.

Another relation from way back.

Price per litre. 4 litres to the US Gal. NZ dollars.

I have no idea how i'm going at the moment so I will check and come back later for another day.

Keithg

Default Thanks!

Thanks for sharing Keith. Those comparative photos are interesting. Yes, Christchurch was a beautiful city - so sad. I too have many great memories of Arthur Pass. The South Island is so beautiful. I look forward to reading more of this trip.

Lifey

Thank you Lifey. It is very sad. Lots of people told us that they just cant go back there again. Some of the stories we were told by a lady that was in the middle of it all were horrific. I had a couple more pics there as well of Christchurch but went over my photo quota. :) I have a sister who is going to be doing the train trip through Arthurs Pass end of February. Will be interesting to hear about it. Just having a coffee and then will attempt to do another couple of days.

Here we go again. Its now Tuesday morning the 21st of November. Margaret and I get out of bed and go and fill the car up with fuel and then head out to Lake Matheson which is only about 3 miles out of Fox Glacier Village. Unfortunately it was overcast and we didn't know what our chances were of seeing the great reflections. We have a big canvas Panoramic on our wall from last time there when the sun was out. Clouds were down a bit low that time as well covering the mountains in background. But reflections had to be seen. Magnificent.
    We parked the car by the Café and off we went on our walk. Took us about 20 minutes to walk to a lookout point of lake. We didn't walk right around. It takes about an hour and a half to do that.

Interesting sign. There are a lot of helicopters in use here and the Glaciers.

Overcast but still a great reflection.

I made the mistake of singing kids nursery rhymes like "wheels on the bus" to Margaret and she took off and when I got onto the swing bridge she shook it. Real mean I thought. :)
    We got back to the café and had some breakfast. For anyone thinking of heading out to the lake, take some Rid or something similar. Lots of sandflies.

We moved on down the Island heading for our next stop at Wanaka. Lots of tourist everywhere and heavy bookings for accommodation. Have to be real careful driving as some tourists have no idea on how to drive. Been a few head on crash's. A coach driver told us one of there coach's was heading out to Milford Sound a couple of weeks before and rammed a car that had just stopped in the middle of the road just around a corner and they occupants were out taking selfies of themselves in front of the beautiful scenery. we were following 4 or 5 motorhomes and as we came down a slope on to the ocean front near Haast, the front motor home just stopped in the middle of the road. 2nd one went to the right and the third to the left. Next one just stopped in the middle of road. We of course stopped and cars coming the other way all stopped. Tourists must have been thinking how they could take some more selfies. hahaha. All good.
    On the way south to Wanaka, you run along side the north end of Lake Wanaka. Then you turn in land for a few minutes and come across Lake Hawea. The sun was shining great again by now and the view was magnificent. Spoke with some young people in a motorhome who were from a few different European countries. They all had been in university in Brisbane and were due to fly back home to there respective countries for Christmas. They decided to fly to the South Island for a holiday look before heading home. They had a picnic table and chairs set up having something to eat while looking at the magnificent view. Pretty cool we thought.

Students having picnic. Couldn't get a better view.

Great hat. hahaha.

Starting to come across some wild flowers. Margaret wants more colors.

We stayed in the local Hotel at Wanaka. We were happy with our stay there in 09 and we were again this time. Our room wasn't that big but had everything we wanted and was only 100 yards from the Lake. Best of all was a ice cream shop straight across the road from Hotel. On every Tuesday for November they were selling $1 a scoop ice creams. Of course I had to have one. I had $2 worth. We went down to the Lake and had a paddle. It was icy cold and very refreshing. So clear.

How could this scene be more beautiful. :) :)

Have to check where some of my photo's went. May have gone to the wrong spot. Back later.

Default Wednesday 22nd November

We had a look around down at the Lake and then headed for Arrowtown via Cromwell. Cromwell is wine and grape country. Went into a roadside stall and topped up on some fresh fruit.

On to Arrowtown a little town with a one way main street. Real cool place where I keep looking to see if the Duke, John Wayne is going to ride in. Old gold mining town. We found accommodation in a Big 10 Caravan park that has cabins. Cabin had a queen sized bed and 2 bunks. Plus some cooking facilities. Friendly place and to make it even better, Margaret caught up with her sister who happened to be over in the South Island from Perth in Western Australia. Joy had come over and was down there with her daughterJodie who is the top female Drift car racer in NZ. They didn't know each other was going to be in the South Island and we managed to get them a cabin as well. They had been out riding horse's in Glenorchy where we were heading to later. Had an awesome dinner in Arrowtown at Slowcook.

Been a long time.

Must mention the I centre's here. They are in most NZ towns and are so much help. Our son and daughter in law bought us a boat trip on the old steamer, the Earnslaw at Queenstown. It had to be confirmed a day or two before and they arranged everything for us. They arrange accommodation also.

Main St.

Arrowtown has the best bakery ever and I just got sprung walking out with some hot pies. I did get one for Margaret. A vegie pie. I had a Lamb and mint one and a Apricot Chicken one. Yeah, well I was hungry.

Found some Lupins down by a stream.

Big day tomorrow as we head into Queenstown for our Earnslaw ride.

Default This is good !

Great report Keith, I am loving the photo's. Great job ! New Zealand is a place I would love to visit one day and your report has stirred that emotion. Sad to see the destruction and heartache a quake can cause, but I am sure it will come right in the end. What a great surprise for the sisters !!

Looking forward to more !

Dave.

Default Drifting !

I think Jodie may have enjoyed playing in my Nissan at some stage. The S13/240SX is used by most top drifters this side of the pond, although I think she would have outgrown mine now at the level she is. ;-)

Dave.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 01-04-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Yes Dave hahaha. Probably. Been doing it for a while now. Jodie is really good. Not sure but may have a Supra now. I will have to check with her.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQk44WkESM0 My niece Jodie in action.

Default Supra Dooper !

Yeah the Supra is a great car and the girls got skills !

Dave.

hahaha She certainly has. Have a look at this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYrk9VyANs

Now I better get back to my report.