Hi, my wife and I were planning to drive from Seattle to Yellowstone and back in December. This is going to be our first long winter road trip. Look forward to advice.
Our current itinerary is as follows:
26th December: Leave Seattle in the morning around 9 and reach Coeur D' Alene and stay overnight
27th December: Leave in the morning from CDA and reach Yellowstone national park West and stay for 3 nights
30th December: Leave in the morning from Yellowstone and reach Missoula MT for an overnight stay
31st December: Drive Back from Misoula MT to seattle
Wanted advice on the following
1. Is this route advisable to drive in the winter with a 4 wheel drive Honda CRV?
2. What is the best way to get reliable weather updates? Are these highways plowed during the winter ?
3. In case of an emergency, is there cell coverage through the route? What are options for roadside assistance if god forbid it is required?
4. Any pointed advice on winter essentials for winter driving?
5. Can we find a detailed description somewhere on the mountain passes/terrain in the route?