I am new to this forum and am seeking advice regarding a road trip I am hoping to plan. On January 18, 2018, I am starting graduate school in SF. I currently live at the Jersey Shore and am hoping to make the cross-country road-trip to SF/San Jose region.
I am hoping to leave possibly the 6/7th of January and would like to be there either by Jan 12th or the 15th of January. I have a friend who is road tripping with her family from the same area and stopping in Denver, Colorado. So I could follow them and have my bf and another friend come with me or my boyfriend and another friend could go the south-west route.
I have never road-tripped before and my car is a 1998 Honda Accord with 74,000 miles on it.
Is it better to take take the Northern route through or the south western route given the time frame? I am worried about weather conditions.
My bf who is currently living in San Jose will also be turning 25 during this trip on 1/12 so I would like to do something special. Any idea for a cool place to celebrate the 25th birthday during this trip?
Important Questions I have
1. Which route is best (I have been to parts of Tx, NM, and AZ before) but my bf and friend haven't.
2. Average amount of gas
3. General and cheapest to spend on the trip (My budget is limited. Probably less than 2,000)
4. Tips for safety in driving and general areas
5. Do i need snow tires
6. General amount of hours to drive per day
7. Cheap places to stay (no need for luxury... just don't want to be robbed or killed)
8. Best cities to visit and places to stay or attractions to see (i enjoy nature, hiking, parks, recreational activities).
9. Best types of food to pack.
10. Necessary supplies
I am a triple-A member so I have that.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.