Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Honeymoon Help - San Francisco - Phoenix

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help, I have a rough idea of where we would like to go but just wanted to make sure it was plausible and I'm not missing out on anything on the way.

So here goes - we are thinking of doing a road trip for out honeymoon, thoughts are fly on the 16th Nov to San Fran for three nights, head down to Vegas (with one night stop offs at Yosemite and Death Valley).

Arrive in Vegas and stay for three/four nights (of which one day will be thanksgiving - I have read that this is an ok time to go (please correct me if I'm wrong).

From Vegas head down to Phoenix with stops offs at the Hoover Dam, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and maybe Flagstaff.

Planning on doing this over 16 nights - can anyone provide any advice? Am I trying to fit too much in/will the weather be ok the back end of November? Any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Weather actually is probably the biggest issue with your trip plan - specifically in regards to Yosemite and Death Valley.

Tioga Pass, which goes over the Sierra Nevada Mountains through Yosemite, will probably be closed for the winter by the time you take this trip. It's not a sure thing, and is completely dependent upon the weather, but you're traveling late enough where I think you'd have to treat it like a pleasant surprise if it is still open.

If it is closed, to get from Yosemite to Death Valley, you'll have to go all the way around the Sierras via the Bakersfield area, and that means you're looking at a full day drive to get from Yosemite to Death Valley.

There is a chance of seeing snow at the Grand Canyon too, but the south rim is open all year. The North Rim will be closed by the time of your trip.

Default Makes a nice loop trip.

16 nights is a nice amount of time for such a trip although personally i would plan on 2 nights around Yosemite as its an amazing place. I would also look at doing a loop trip as starting and ending in the same city can save you money and works well for your trip as you can explore the coast as well,

4. Default

Thank you for your response, I was torn between the driving coastal route and Yosemite/Death Valley, I'll certainly look to see if we could incorporate them both!

5. Default

Thank you for your response. If Tioga Pass is closed by the time we get there is there plenty still to be seen? A full day of driving doesn't put me off I would just love to see as much as possible!

There is certainly plenty to see and do in Yosemite even when Tioga Pass is closed. The Yosemite Valley, which is the heart of the park, is open year round. As Dave mentioned, spending 2 nights there would still be a good idea.

If you are thinking of following the coast, keep in mind that a portion of the coastal highway is closed south of Big Sur due to a mudslide and won't reopen until 2018, so keep that in mind with your planning as well.

7. Default

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the road closure doesn't deny access to the most spectacular section of the PCH. If that's correct, then this is still a must see.

That's correct, but you either have to turn around and go back through it again or take a somewhat difficult road back inland.

9. Default

Thanks again for your advice. If we were to incorporate some of the coastal route, what route would you advise? I haven now booked the flights and we arrive in San Francisco on the 16th and fly out of Phoenix on the 2nd Dec, I did look at flying back out of San Francisco but the prices weren't that different.

Did you check on rental car costs? Dropping off in a different city frequently comes with a surcharge.