Me and some friends are planning a road trip on Route 66 from Texas to the Grand Canyon. We are way ahead of time, as we will be going September or October of *2018*. I have some questions as none of us has ever been on Route 66 or to the GC.
1. Is either of these months less crowded than the other?
2. How likely would the weather be icy/snowy around Williams and the South Rim during these months?
3. Is there likely to be motels/hotels available in and around Williams (or even Flagstaff) when we arrive? Or do we have to book ahead of time? Nothing fancy, we just want a clean place to sleep.
4. We will want a guided tour. I saw great reviews for Marvelous Marv and his tours of the GC on Trip Advisor. Has anybody used them or have suggestions for other reasonably priced van-type tour groups for a guided day trip?
5. What about the train? How far ahead should that be booked?
And last but certainly not least:
6. What are some of the "don't miss" sites along route 66 that we should look for?
Thanks so much!