1. Default I-40 or Route 60 to Albuquerque

Leaving tomorrow (March 6) from Phoenix to Albuquerque. Not a fan of narrow mountain roads with close drop offs and hairpin curves. That said, I do want to see some of the beautiful scenery I read about so will brave one of these two routes. My question is which one is the least nerve wracking? I actually will be riding, not driving so can always close my eyes. LOL Husband is willing to go whatever route I choose. (God Bless him).

It looks like we can take 60 to Holbrook and take I-40 into Albuquerque. Or Take 60 through Show Low and Pie Town and get in that way. Do not want to go through Flagstaff and came in through Tucson so looking for different route back.

Thank you for anyone who can give me some insight.

I would take AZ-87 to Payson, then AZ-260 to Heber, then AZ-277/AZ-377/AZ-77 to Holbrook. There is some mountainous driving on AZ-87 but it's a divided highway. This is actually the fastest route too.

This is a "shortcut" recommended to me by a trucker in a rest area in NM several years back, he said it cuts off about 30 minutes from going via Flagstaff. The only hassle will be dealing with traffic getting to AZ-87, depending on exactly where in the Phoenix area you will be leaving from. The 202 freeway is probably the best bet from downtown or the west side. From the north side you can take 101 to Shea Blvd, from the east you can take Country Club Dr or Gilbert Rd.
    Last edited by glc; 03-05-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Hello, and welcome to the RTA forum!

If you want to avoid mountain roads and hairpin curves, you won't want to take US 60 to Showlow; that would take you through the Salt River Canyon, and if you're bothered by heights and steep grades, you'll want to avoid that stretch.

The best alternative would be through Payson. From the east part of metro Phoenix, pick up AZ Route 87. A beautiful road, nice and wide, so the curves and dropoffs aren't nearly so scary. Once you get to Payson, you can take AZ 260 to Heber/Overgaard, and follow the signs toward Holbrook: AZ 277 to AZ 377 and on to Holbrook. That's a bit faster and more direct then taking AZ 260 all the way to Showlow first. If you haven't already been on I-40 between Holbrook and Albuquerque, I think you'll find it a better bet than US 60 from Showlow through Springerville and Pie Town. The I-40 route goes right past Petrified Forest National Park, which is worth a look. Both routes are scenic, but in different ways. That back road (through Pie Town) would be a little longer, in terms of both time and distance.

Rick

If you want the least "nerve wracking" route, you should be taking the Interstates as much as possible. I'm not sure why you want to avoid Flagstaff, as that seems like it would be the best route for you to take.

Also, US-60 doesn't go anywhere near Holbrook, but I will say that if you don't like mountain roads US-60 is probably something you should avoid at all costs, particularly the stretch near the Salt River, as is has multiple hairpin turns.

5. Default

be very careful going thru Payson. Several photo speed cams going in and out of Payson. SPEED TRAPS set up to make sure change of speed signs right before cameras set you up for tickets!

Welcome to the RTA Forum, BJParis!

Thanks for sharing your insight, but this trip happened over a year ago!