My boyfriend & I are travelling to the US from Australia later in the year. We are planning to visit New England for the last two weeks of September, then have a week and a half to explore somewhere else. We are thinking of visiting the Grand Canyon / Las Vegas / Yosemite National Park. I have done a road trip through a similar route in the past (though my boyfriend has never been) and I really loved it. We’d really appreciate some advice about whether our plans are do-able in the time frame we’ve allocated or whether we will need to change things around.
After a bit of research, I’ve worked out the following route. We don’t mind a bit of driving, but would love an opinion from anyone who knows the area/has done it before as to whether all this will be possible – as it’s a long trip from Australia we do want to fit in as much as possible.
- Day 1: fly into Phoenix and stay overnight (picked this as there are direct flights from the north east & it’s close to our route
- Day 2: drive early morning Phoneix to Grand Canyon (about 3.5-4 hours?) then spend the night
- Day 3: drive Grand Canyon to Las Vegas (about 4 hours?), spend the night
- Day 4: further full day & night in Las Vegas
- Day 5: drive Las Vegas to Death Valley & spend the night (2.5 hours?)
- Day 6: drive Death Valley to Yosemite (this is a long one, 7 hours? Not sure if it might be better to just go direct Vegas to Yosemite and skip Death Valley), stay the night in Yosemite
- Day 7: full day & night in Yosemite
- Day 8: drive Yosemite to San Francisco, stay the night
- Day 9: full day & night in San Francisco
- Day 10: fly home
Thank you for any tips you can provide! Much appreciated :)