I'd like to reach out and introduce myself: Amir, a husband of Anat, father of three (18, 17 and 14), wine maker / gardener / carpenter from Israel.
We're planning our August, 3 weeks, American road trip from the Canadian Rockies through Yellowstone, a hop to San Francisco, Yosemite and finish off in few days in NYC on our way back. We plan on flying and driving, camping and hotels, sightseeing and moderate hiking (~5 miles).
We're thinking to fly in to Calgary, Canada and spend 4 days camping in Banff and Jasper National Parks – Do the Sulphur Mountain Gondola, visit Upper hot springs, Lake Luis, Moraine Lake, Peyto Lake, Colombia Ice Field, Edith Cavell Mount' Etc. (4 days, Camping)
From there we plan on heading to Glacier National Park, MT and Going-To-The-Sun Rd (3 days, camping).
1. Are there special immigration border crossing points to the US for foreign citizens that we'll need to use?
2. Any recommendations for car renting? Pickup in Calgary drop off in Salt Lake City?
3. Should we take bus / train instead of car across the border?
4. Please recommend a 3 days visit to Glacier Park.
From Glacier we plan on driving 365 miles to Yellowstone and spending 3 days camping in the park. (3 days, camping)
5. Any special road trip attraction along the way from Glacier National Park to Yellowstone?
6. What are the "must do" in Yellowstone? – Please recommend a 3 days plan for the park.
After 3 days we'll head to Salt Lake City, where we'll return the car and check a flight to San Francisco where we'll spend two days visiting the city. (2 days, Hotel)
From there we'll head south to Big Sur through Half Moon Bay, Carmel and Monterey (1 day, TBD)
7. We're considering camping one night at Big Basin Redwoods State Park or staying at Pigeon Point Lighthouse hostel – any
From there we'll head east to Yosemite National Park and spend three days in the park camping. (3 days, camping)
8. What are the "must do" in Yosemite? – Please recommend a 3 days plan for the park.
After Yosemite we'll drive to SFO and take a flight to NYC and spend 3.5 days and head back home (3.5 days, Hotel)
We're open to any suggestions, remarks, advice or any type of input from you, everything is still open…:-)