Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default Day 35

We had breakfast at our motel, said goodbye to the cat and headed out of town to Solvang. Very pretty small town with lots of bakeries based on Denmark. We visited there on our first trip and loved it. Would have missed it the first time except Margaret had read about the place in Lonely Planet. We would go again if we got back over.

SOLVANG

LOTS OF FOOD SHOPS.

Luck we had already had breakfast. Food was very tempting but very rich. Even though i like my food, both visits to the USA, i have lost weight even though i had lots of burger meals mainly for convenience sake. All the walking we did in National Parks saved the day. Lost 3 - 4 kg each visit.

LOVE THE BUILDINGS.

LOTS OF PRETTY GARDENS.

LOCAL BIKES FOR HIRE.

I have no idea how much to hire the bikes but looked pretty cool.

Mortensen's Danish Bakery

One of many bakeries in town. We had lunch here. Yes, we ate that and it was excellent lol. Never ending supply of coffee to go with it.

We left Solvang and headed on down the coast to spend our last night in L A. Cant remember exactle where it was now but we puled into a shopping complex for a coffee and margaret asked a policeman if she could take a picture of his car. He said no worries. When i asked one once, i wasnt allowed hahaha. Must have been her good looks.

Friendly officer.

We headed further down getting closer to L A and wished we had more time and could go the other way.

MALIBU ( i think)
    If this isnt Malibu, its very close. Its not like you see in Two and a half men with Charlie Sheen. We drove into LA in peak hour traffic. That was an experience. Took quite a while to get across to a motel near LAX. We got a room no worries. Next morning and final day, we went for a drive to Redondo beach. Very overcast again. We had some lunch there on the jetty and would love to have gone and looked at some other beach's down that way. I was worried though as there was a lot of road works getting done with massive hold ups in traffic on hwy. So we went back and dehired car and sat at airport for hours much to Margaret's displeasure. It was a mistake. I was worried we wouldnt make it back in time but the risk would have been better than sitting in departure for hours. At 11pm on friday, we flew out on virgin for Brisbane arriving 8 am sunday morning.

We had a fantastic time. Had only 10 sunny days out of 36 but we think we were just unlucky. Had brilliant weather the trip before at the same time of year. We covered nine states, met some fantastic people, including some who are now friends for life. Food was fantastic and i still lost weight. :) Worst part was it took me two months to sort photo's out when we got back home. Worth it though as we now have a fantastic Photo book. Plus Blu Ray slide show. Still working on the blu ray movie.

As some time has gone since we were there, may/2013, it would be pointless breaking down costs but it cost approx $11000 for 36 days for everything. Airfares included. I see gas is a lot cheaper at the moment but no doubt accommodation would be slightly dearer. We could have chosen some cheaper accommodation in places. Only place we booked was the first night in Barstow. Had to have that booked to get through Customs. We also booked Flamingo before we left. Due to big changes in prices over a couple of weeks. Probably didnt have to book that one. Never had any trouble anywhere else getting a place to stay.
    Will we go again? We certainly will and would have probably gone last fall but for illness in family plus our dollar going downhill fast.
    Those problems still exist but we hope we can do it all again at sometime in the near future. We recommend to anyone thinking of doing a road trip to do it. And anyone who is worried about driving in USA, dont worry. Drivers are very polite and it dosnt take very long to get used to driving on wrong side of road. :)

Thankyou Lifey for reminding me to get this report done. Ive enjoyed doing it. Hope everyone that reads it does also and you find what you are looking for.

Cheers. Keith (Aka Chief Banana Eater)

There is a reason we Southern Californians call the weather at that time of the year, "May Gray" and "June Gloom". The sun doesn't burn off the morning low clouds and fog until around 10:30 am - 12 noon.

Enjoyed your trip report very much! Hope you get back to the USA sometime!

Donna

So do we Donna. We wished we had done it a long time ago. A stunning and beautiful country with so much to see. We can never stop talking about our trips to anyone that will listen. :) Ill remember that may and June saying. lol

Keith

Default Well done.

Congratulations!!

Loved every paragraph, rode a lot of miles with you. If you keep an eye on how often it is viewed, you will get some idea of how valuable your report is for members and visitors to the forum. All your unique experiences have the potential to give knowledge and ideas to future roadtrippers.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 01-21-2015 at 02:59 AM. Reason: correcting grammar.

Default Thank you rta & lifey

Thank you to both RTA and Lifey. RTA for being such a fantastic site with tonnes of information and lots of help from different members. Thank you also to Lifey. If it wasnt for Lifey reminding me every now and then to make my trip report, it probably wouldn't have got done. I thought it was to late. Lifey convinced me other wise. I'm happy about that because it has been a lot of fun re living the road trip. I have been lucky in that Margaret kept a journal of every thing we did and where we went. Until i read through it while writing report, i didn't realise id been in trouble so many times hehehe. She also wrote down every cent we spent. Think if she didnt catch me, i forgot to report eating a ice cream now and then. She wrote somewhere ice cream shops should be banned hehehe.

Hoping we can start planning a new trip soon. Maybe not for this year but next. Thanks once again.

Keith

Default Great reading !

I too really enjoyed your report Keith, great reading and wonderful photos. Not that I needed much encouragement, but it has inspired me to get on with the planning for our next trip !

Don't worry, our lips are sealed and we will never mention the ice cream. ;-)

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    I too really enjoyed your report Keith, great reading and wonderful photos. Not that I needed much encouragement, but it has inspired me to get on with the planning for our next trip !

Don't worry, our lips are sealed and we will never mention the ice cream. ;-)

Dave.
    Hahahaha Thanks Dave. Im doing it hard at the moment. There is ice cream in my fridge out in the garage but i have to leave it alone. Got rid of 9 kg and want to get a few more off yet. OK, ill admit ive sneaked a T spoon now and then but im doing well. :)

Im looking forward to reading where your next trip takes you. They are always great reading.

Keith

Default See ye there?

Well if you guys are both planning on next year, I might see ye on the road. LOL

Am trying to resist another trip to AK, but fear the pull is too strong.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Well if you guys are both planning on next year, I might see ye on the road. LOL

Am trying to resist another trip to AK, but fear the pull is too strong.

Lifey
    Hey, that would be awesome Lifey. We could have a ice cream together. Lol.

Keith