Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default Day 28

We left Bridgeport and headed south to Lee Vining passing by Mono Lake. Forgot thats where the Tufa's are.

MONO LAKE.

Passed through Lee Vining and couldnt wait to get to Tioga Pass. We over shot the turnoff but soon turned back. Found out later that the chef at the servo/roadhouse at the turnoff was one of the top chef's from L A i think it was. Didnt like the city and came out to Lee Vining. Would have been nice try his cooking.

Tioga Pass. What a place. We were so lucky to be there while it was open. If we ever get back again, we will spend at least a whole day just in the Pass. I have a picked a few photo's for this section because i cant do it justice with words.

TIOGA PASS.

TIOGA PASS.

HOW DOES A TREE GROW UP THERE?

SO MUCH ROCK.

BEWARE. BEARS.

Tioga Pass runs into Yosemite National Park. Another place we enjoy visiting.

YOSEMITE ENTRANCE.

When we first saw the name Yosemite, we couldnt say it right. Thought it said Yoh si might. lol.

There is so much beautiful scenery to see in Yosemite. Some great walks to the waterfalls.

WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO GO FOR A PADDLE.

EL CAPITAN

I knew i was waiting a long time to do this report for a reason hahaha. Probably a day or two ago, a couple of climbers climbed up the face of El Capitan. You may have seen it on the news. I was waiting for the climb to be done. :) True. I wouldnt tell a lie hehehe.

YOSEMITE VALLEY.

We had a fantastic day driving in through Tioga Pass and into Yosemite National Park. Tioga Pass is a must see if its open. We have been to Yosemite before but its still a great place to visit. Great walks and waterfalls. The fast running streams are so clear, its relaxing to just sit watch them.
    We headed off out of the park and headed towards Fresno. More later.

Stay tuned. Keith

Default Know what you mean.

When we first saw the name Yosemite, we couldnt say it right. Thought it said Yoh si might. lol.
    Bit like vegemite? :)

Lifey

Yes, thats right Lifey. :) I was trying to think of the best way to say it the way we thought. "Bit like vegemite" is spot on. hehehe. Thank you. :)

Keith

Thank you, I wondered how "vegemite" was pronounced. I might have pronounced it Ve-Jeh-Mih-Teh. (big grin)

Donna

hahaha Funny Donna. I suppose someone could see vegemite pronounced that way. hahaha Never thought of it that way. :)

Keith

Default Day 29

After a good nights sleep, we did a bit of shopping in Fresno and then went to Salinas and did more shopping. Boring. Should be more shops for men. Had lunch at Famous Dave's BBQ. Was good. Just about bought to much food. Waitress was great but could talk under water i think. All fun though.
    We were going to head across to Carmel but we had done that last time so decided to head down the interstate a bit to see what was there. We stayed at Soledad for the night. Must have been a vintage car rally on some where as there was a number of cars parked at motel. They were in perfect condition and great to see them. Here is a couple of them.

DAY 30

We headed south to Paso Robles and then across to the coast and to Hearst Castle. We went on the Grand Rooms Tour. Lots of people and all the tours were pretty full. Bus winds it way up the hill to the Castle from the entry shops and cafe. Already thinking how hard it must have been to get all the building materials to the top way back in the day. Guide was good but not much freedom at looking at some things. I guess some people would abuse the freedom and some things would get damaged. Personally, i thought the place was full of old junk and needs opening up to let more light in. Margaret told me its expensive old junk. Some of it priceless. Ceiling in one room was over 400 years old and imported from Italy.

400 YEAR OLD CEILING.

Apparently the ceiling didnt fit when it arrived. Was to short so skilled carpenters had to add some more to it making sure it looked exactly the same.

Some big names used to attend the dinner parties at Hearst Castle. If you were seated close to the head of table, you were doing well but if you were on the way out, you were seated at the far end. I never got invited so i guess i didnt make the grade at all. Probably because i called the furniture old junk.

The gardens were beautiful and when you had finished your tour, you could stay in the gardens for as long as you liked before hopping back on bus. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were magnificent but apparently only get swum in once a year by staff, probably to clean them.

INDOOR POOL.

GARDENS.

GOLD PLATED GATES.

We had a great day at Hearst Castle and its worth a visit. There are three different tours. Plus a night tour where some staff are sitting around in period costume.

We left Hearst Castle and drove along the road a couple of miles and booked into the Best Western for a night which soon became three nights. It was a great place for a tune out right be the ocean. More of that later.

Be good. Keith

Default The luxury of time.

Quote Originally Posted by keithg View Post
    ... booked into the Best Western for a night which soon became three nights. It was a great place for a tune out right by the ocean.
    Hey Keith, isn't that the best part about winging it. I could never travel without having the option.

Lifey

It is Lifey. I couldnt do it any other way. I like to be free. Only once have we had to move on to the next motel and that was first trip. Plus we change our minds a fair bit where we are going hehehe. Of course we have to have our first night in the country booked to get throught customs and we booked the Flamingo in Vegas. Probably didnt need to though.

Keith

Default Day 31

After a good nights sleep, we went for a walk on the beach and enjoyed the sea air. Beautiful place for a tune out. San Simeon.
    We went for a drive into Cambria, a pretty little town. We lost each other which happens now and then but Margaret has learnt to look for a ice cream shop. Sure enough, there i was hehehe. Have to try these things and see what they taste like. Saw this lady with her little dog all dressed up. I asked if i could take a picture.

CAMBRIA RESIDENT.

On the north side of San Simeon in the grounds of Hearst Castle there are Zebra's grazing with the cattle. photo time again.

HEARST CASTLE ZEBRA'S.

While there we started talking to this photographer there who you may have seen or heard of with articals on 06 wolf that was in Yellowstone. Jimmy Jones had a connection with this particular wolf until it was killed. It was a pleasure to have met him and i get updates from his website. Look up Jimmy Jones Photography. California coast or 06 wolf.

JIMMY JONES.

A little further up the road are the Sea Elephants lazing on the sea shore. Some in the water play fighting.

SEA ELEPHANTS PLAYING.

SLEEP TIME.

While watching the Sea Elephants, running around our feet were dozens of Squirrel's. Being from Australia, we thought they were cute but i wouldnt want to get bitten by one.

Squirrel looking for dinner.

Back at our beach break, we rested and smiled and relaxed. They had these fire place near the water. Chairs for people to sit on. They used to put more wood out every day.

DOSN'T GET BETTER THAN THIS.

ROCKY PART OF BEACH.

BEAUTIFUL SAN SIMEON SUNSET.

We had a great, much needed three nights rest at San Simeon and it we would love to go there again.
    I will be back later. Not much of trip to go now, so stay tuned.

Keith

Default Day 33

After a wonderful 3 night stay in San Simeon by the beach, we headed off to Morro Bay. Pretty place. Lots of fishing boats and Squirrels. One of the things we like about all these small towns is there pride. Flower box's and hanging baskets every where. And clean.

MORO BAY.

MORO BAY

Very overcast still in Moro Bay but sun came out soon after when we arrived at Avilla Beach. Beautiful place once again. Worth the drive off the main hwy to see it.

AVILLA BEACH

AVILLA BEACH

AVILLA BEACH

AVILLA BEACH.

Margaret lost me again and yes, your right. she found me in the ice cream shop.

Off we went again and had a look at Pismo Beach. Nice spot but we liked Avilla better. Some surfing going on and lots of giant seaguls. Well giant compared with Aussie ones.

PISMO BEACH

PISMO BEACH JETTY.

JETTY LOOKING THE OTHER WAY. Big long, wide jetty.

We left the beach and headed for Santa Maria where we stayed for two nights so we could do some shopping to take home.

RECEPTION MOTEL. SANTA MARIA.

Nice reception area in motel and a stray cat was making itself at home in those flowers. Hotel said it came in everyday and slept in the flower garden. I think it was their's as they fed it. Made a good story. lol.

Dont go away now. Ill be back.

Keith