Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Default Day 5

Moab. Pretty little town with a river flowing through behind it. Was a bit expensive but quite busy as well.

We were up at 4-30am and soon after had some breakfast at 6 at motel. Like the waffles. But i was good and had some fruit as well. Off we went to Arches National Park. Nobody at gate house but no worries. What a awesome park. Weather was a bit better and so much to see. Lots of walking which we, i needed. Amazing how some of the huge rocks stay balanced for so long.

This was taken not far into park.

Not that far into park is what is called Park Ave.

PARK AVE

Stunning place. The arches are amazing. Different ones. Different shapes. Even one called windows.

Early afternoon and we were worn out so went back to motel for a nanna nap. Then went down town for another look and some dinner. Ill dig up another shot of a different arch. Another big day coming up with visit to Canyonlands, Dead Horse State Park and back to Arches.
    Keithg

Default Dramatic view

Keith, (aka Chief Banana Eater)

Wow, those two images of Park Avenue -- took my breath away.

Great captures and thanks again for creating and sharing this trip report with us!

Mark

Thanks Mark. Ill get some more done shortly. Got some bananas to eat first. :)

Keith

Default Day 6

We were up early and had breakfast. Then headed out to Dead Horse Point and Canyonlands. Went into Dead Horse point first and pulled up at turn out not far in. Walked over to cliff edge and were amazed at what we were looking at. Managed to start thinking again and decided to go back to car for cameras. Car was about 20- 25 yards away. Grabbed cameras and walked back. Couldnt see a thing. Fog had come in so quick. Waited for a while but then decided to move on to another point. Same thing but watched the fog come and go every few minutes. Couldnt believe how you could see clear one minute and then nothing 2 minutes later.

Fog had lifted a bit here.

We ended up leaving Dead Horse Point and heading up the road a bit to Canyonlands and then came back later when fog had cleared.

Dead Horse Point later on. If you look in the distance above mans head with the hat on, you will see the natural rock formation of a horse. Interesting story about this place. If you get a chance, google Dead Horse Point and read all about the cowboys and the horse's.

Canyonlands. Another amazing National Park. We had a few walks there. Walked all the waffles off. Took lots of photo's again. Met lots of great people. Very easy to talk to much and let the time get away.
    We made the walk out to Mesa Point which is well worth the effort. Would liked to have had a step ladder but bit far for that. Be great to have a bit of height to get more of the background through arch. A friendly tourist was kind enough to take a pic of us both there.

We left there and went back to Dead Horse Point now that the fog had gone and then went back to Aches for another look and see some we missed the day before. This is where the national pass pays for it self. Go as many times as you like. We really need to spent another full day in Arches at least. So much t see.

No, i didnt ask Margaret to stand there to see if that big rock would fall on her. Who would make my dinner. :)

Beautiful colors.

One of the many amazing arches at Arches National Park.

We headed out and went to Green River where we booked into a Best Western motel for the night.

Keith aka Chief Banana Eater.

Default Loving it !

Great job Keith ! Nice pictures.

Bringing back some great memories of our time in the area too !!

Dave.

Yes Dave. I enjoyed your reports. Must be time you went on another trip. :)

Keith

Default Indeed !!

I'm always about 3 roadtrips ahead of myself ! Whether or not it will be this year, I will have to wait and see. If it doesn't happen, it won't be through lack of trying. ;-) [Need flight prices to drop dramatically for one.] :-(

Default Day 7

Had a pleasant stay at Green River. Lucky enough to have a big spa bath in our room. We moved on across I 70 towards highway 89. Not having a lot of luck with weather but still enjoyed magnificent scenery. Whole State of Utah is awesome. Heading for Bryce Canyon where we did visit last time but couldnt wait to get there again.

Love it out here. I 70 West bound.

We got to and headed down hwy 89 towards Panguitch. We find it more interesting. More to see by staying off the interstates where we can. Stopped at a small town called Richfield to mail some post cards. Thought Margaret got lost. People so friendly and wanted to have a chat to her.

Beautiful Cherry tree's line road in Richfield.

We finally got to Panguitch where we stayed at a cheap motel. Stayed there previous trip and became friends with the manager and his wife. Had a awesome half Wolf, half Shepard. Was awesome but we have have been told recently that Odie as he was called has passed away.

We found Panguitch a good place to stay and not to far away for visiting Bryce Canyon.

Day 8

Had breakfast and headed for Bryce. We did what this forum suggested and drove straight to the end of Canyon. Had a look there with the usual photo taking. By driving there first allows you to have all the turnouts on your side of the road. Great advice. We stopped at all of them and Started a walk down one the trails but rain was coming and it was already a bit sticky so we headed back for the top. Have to try again one day. Was quite hard walking back up at that height. About 9000 feet if i remember correctly.

The trail down to the bottom.

Magnificent colors. Crumbly looking.

Margaret had me thrown in jail. She said i ate her cherry pie. I did but didnt think she wanted it. :)

We would liked to have had another look at Zion which we enjoyed last time but with weather not on our side moved on to St George for the night.

Day 9

Had a pleasant stay in St George and are now heading for Las Vegas. Reason we didnt go there first after leaving Barstow was the cost. Must have been something on and to stay at the Flamingo in the centre of strip where we wanted to stay was $180 a night. By going and looking at other stuff and coming back a week later, it was only $60 a night. big difference. As weather wasnt doing us any favours, we ended up a day a head of ourselves so we booked into the Golden Nugget in Freemont St. Freemont st being a place we wanted to see this this time. In the daytime we thought the place was a bit tacky but at night time when all the lights came on and there was a Elvis tribute comp on, the place came alive and it was a huge party.

FREEMONT ST LAS VEGAS

SPOOKY LOOKING BLOKE

CANT IMAGINE WHAT THAT TASTES LIKE.

I just found out that your ticket to the National Parks are valid for 7 days. So no need to buy a National pass if you arnt going to a few parks. My very helpful guide here, Lifey has just let me know about that. Thankyou very much for that info Lifey.

Keith

I know what you mean Dave. We were hoping to be back this year sometime. Dollar is crashing fast. They say its good for exports but just about everything is imported and not a lot exported so thats not right. Will see what happens. :-(

Default Never too early to cash in.

Reading this thread is the only way I know you have actually read the email..... lol

In anticipation of the dollar crashing much further, I got my stash before Christmas, even though 2015 is not on my schedule. By 2016 it might be back where it was in 2001.... when I got US48cents for our dollar.

Lifey