Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

I figured I'd go with an instant tent because I've never put a tent up before and because I will draw less attention to the fact that I'm alone if I'm not fumbling with the tent assembly.

I was finally able to find a store with tents assembled and on display. You're right about them being insanely big!

Thanks again!

Suggestion: Buy a tent before you depart on your trip. Try to set it up in your backyard, a friend's yard, or (last choice) in a public park. (You can always explain you're just learning to set it up before you take it on a trip and aren't planning to camp out overnight.) If you can, try an overnight close to home first before you go -- take a pen and some paper with you, and write down everything you forgot to bring on that overnight! (I have sad memories of our 2nd day on a long camping trip, trying to find a Target or similar store in a large metropolitan area, to pick up the things we "didn't know we needed" for a camping trip!)

BTW, we've had a number of different types of tents over the years. Starting with a large cabin tent, which we found wasn't needed and was a lot harder to put up than we thought it would be. We went to dome tents and an extra cheap-o pup tent after that -- the dome tents were a breeze to put up!

Donna

Default Camping, a great way to meet others.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicGirl View Post
    ... because I will draw less attention to the fact that I'm alone ...
    When in campgrounds, don't be too worried about letting others know you are alone. I have always found campers around me to be most helpful and caring, almost watching out for me. You will find that many campers are sociable and want to meet you.

The idea above is a good idea. You won't know what you want till you have been there, done that. In fact, I would do it more than once. Don't go by another's list. Find out for yourself what you want when camping. Go out for weekends, and try out the local State Parks and Forests.

Another thing I would do is buy a small box full of souvenirs from your home town, region or state. Pins, unique postcards, key rings, fridge magnets, that sort of thing. These come in handy when folk offer to help. A nice way to reward them. Whatever you do, try not to knock back a helping hand, even if you can do it on your own. It is such a great way to meet folk. Your instinct will tell you when to accept, and when to decline.

Lifey

Default Old, irrelevant prices.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    BTW, on the shower issue ... truck stops will charge $5-10 for a shower, but it will include everything you need like towels, soap, etc. Bring your own flip-flops.
    I can see that it is a very long time since Donna priced showers at truck stops. It is quite a few years since I have seen a shower at any truck stop for less than $10. The going rate is more like $12-15, though I have struck ones as high as $18. Facilities and amenities vary greatly. The most expensive are not necessarily the best.

Yes, bring your own footwear. Never stand in a community shower - including in hotels - with bare feet.

Lifey

I was going by what my husband said he used to pay for showers. He didn't know if that was a trucker's rate, and yes, it was a good 10 years ago now. Sorry about that!

Donna

Sorry about that!
    LOL

Yup... prices have gone up. This year's budget has made that painfully clear. Unfortunately the old saying of 'everything that goes up, must come down' don't [sic] work in this case.

Lifey

7. Default

Thanks, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts and support. :)

Default more about tents

EpicGirl,

Hi!

My niece, who is an avid river-rafter and camper, just posted some pictures from her rafting trip down the Grand Canyon. Here’s a picture of her tent; a two-person, 4-season dome tent (shown with the rain fly removed).

Photo courtesy of: howard’s niece

The tent she has is pretty nice [ You can see some details here and also here ], and a little on the pricey side. Your first tent doesn’t need to be anything so fancy or expensive. A simple Coleman 2- or 3-person dome tent would probably work well for you. They don’t cost a lot, and as Michael said, with a little practice you will be able to set your tent up very quickly.

Whatever you end up buying, follow Donna's advice and BE SURE to set up your tent at home right after you buy it. Make sure that all the parts are included, and inspect it carefully once you have it set up. Make sure all the zippers work correctly, make sure nothing is torn or damaged, etc.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Default Tips for Women Solo Travelers

A new post on an older thread...

While researching another topic, I found this site, created by Kristin Addis who lives the solo world traveler lifestyle. It might be of interest to others seeking tips for doing it themselves.

Mark

10. Default

I've never seen a restriction for one. But as a solo traveler -- why would you be using one?