My boyfriend and I, along with his two small dogs are moving from NY to LA next week (yes, very soon!). Since we already have a car we decided to drive there. We are on a very tight budget and as much as it pains me to say it - a tight schedule too, so sight seeing should be quite limited, but one or two is still possible (I think...). We want to get there in 8 days, and to save money we're considering sleeping in the car some nights. We haven't really decided on a route yet, but the one suggested by Google maps seems fine going North and across as apposed to South and across (Taking the I-80 and I-90). I'm not sure if my terminology is correct, I am both foreign and clearly out of my element :).
Here are my questions:
1. Is sleeping in the car permitted on campgrounds?
2. Is it significantly cheaper than sleeping in a motel?
3. Have you ever taken a road trip with pets? Do you have any tips or things I'm not thinking about?
4. Budget - What would you say this should cost? I know that's pretty general, The Fuel Cost Calculator gave me a 540 $ estimate.
5. What are one or two sites that we should see, that won't take us too much off the road?
6. Are there any more tips you can give a first timer? Really, anything would help (of course I would also comb the forum for ideas). :)
Thank you for reading!