Hello all, thanks to all the great folks on here, I have received some great advise for the trip I took last year. ( Death valley, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Bryce,Zion,Cedar banks). Loved every minute of it and it all came together largely with the help of the people on here with your advice. I had 3 weeks off then, unfortunately I only have about 9 days this time :(.
I posted a month or so ago about planning a trip to Yellowstone. I don't think that is going to happen for economic reasons, I am glad I sought out all of your advice on that one, shocked to hear the prices for lodging around Yellowstone.
So I am re-planning now and thinking about Mesa Verde CO to see the cliff dwellings
OR New Mexico Gila cliff dwellings, the plan would be May or June. I would fly into the nearest town and rent a car and go. Actual time on the ground would be about 7 or 8 days---Arrive on a Monday and Fly back on Wed or Thursday of the next week, this would give me about 7-8 days on the ground to see things. I plan to cheap motel it, nothing fancy and rent a car once there.
I like to do a fair amount of hiking, seeking a nature kind of trip. So given my time constraints:
Between CO and NM, which cliff dwellings are more magnificent, worth seeing?
1. How much time to allow to see Mesa Verde to see cliff dwellings would you say?
2. Once I am in that area, what else can/should I see nature/park wise? ( with the time I have to spend)
3. Lodging advise for that area? Best place to fly into from midwest?
4 Any other kind of advise would be great.
What about New Mexico?
1. How much time to see the Gila cliff dwelling?
2. Other Parks, beauty of Nature kinds of things to see?
3. Lodging ideas? Best place to fly into from midwest?
Looking for any advice and input you may have on either place