Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado Floods

I had an opportunity to take my Uncle for a scenic drive from Longmont up US 36 to Estes Park then down US 34 to Loveland.

The repair work has been extensive and impressive.

Both roads are fully open and have many sections of new fill and fresh pavement. In other areas the edges of the road were compromised enough that shoulders are unsafe and concrete barriers have been put on the fog line.

The flood heavily damaged Lyons at the mouth of the canyon where 36 meets the plains.
    But the big damage is 34. Not only is there huge flood damage beyond the canyon mouth, the canyon itself shows massive scouring. Where there used to be shady glades and grassy parklike areas there are now boulder and rockfields. Some buildings are intact but are inaccessible due to bridges being wiped out.

My friend who lived in Glen Haven still can't get to his house. We could drive down to the Glen Haven store site but no farther. (coming in from Estes Park) The road was closed at the connection to US 34. Can't see why but the barrier was very clear.

One of the more amazing sights was a solo bicyclist riding down US 34 which is now a 2-lane no-shoulder road which has snowmelt running from the bases of the concrete barriers and a pretty fair amount of traffic. (shaking my head)

Default any photos?

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    One of the more amazing sights was a solo bicyclist riding down US 34 which is now a 2-lane no-shoulder road which has snowmelt running from the bases of the concrete barriers and a pretty fair amount of traffic. (shaking my head)
    Thanks for the field report!

Yeah, you gotta wonder how many times that bicyclist has fallen on his head without a helmet.

Mark

3. Default

Hwy 43 was hit real by the floods. I understand it recently opened from Drake to at least as far as Glen Haven.

It's kinda sad, though. Glen Haven was a really cool little mountain town that was pretty much wiped out by the floods, but is largely forgotten in the media. The people of GH are working hard to restore their community, but I wonder just how much they'll be able to do.

I hope the road is opened all the way to Estes Park soon. It's one of the best mountain/canyon drives in the state.
    Last edited by Chaz; 12-15-2013 at 12:16 PM.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by noFanofCB View Post
    Cyclists are common on many Front Range canyon roads and 34 is no exception. The have a right to the road, shoulder or no, but that doesn't prevent me from shaking my head too. I wouldn't ride 34 even with a shoulder. Too much traffic.

And you need too keep an eye out. State law says you have to clear them by three feet., even if they're on the shoulder.

Default Narrow fit

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    State law says you have to clear them by three feet., even if they're on the shoulder.
    Whoa, that would put an oversized vehicle over the centerline.

Mark

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sedenquist View Post
    Whoa, that would put an oversized vehicle over the centerline.

Mark
    Yes, it will. In some cases it will put car over the line. I drive a Miata and sometimes passing a cyclist puts a little car like that over the line. There's no legal penalty for this, even when a double yellow is present.

You just have to be real careful.

Most of the time people on bikes will get as far to the right as they can safely manage, but sometimes it's not enough.

Oncoming traffic is a real danger, so you have to pick the time and place to pass very carefully.

There are worse roads for this than 34. There's too much motor traffic for it to be comfy for many cyclists but it's a fairly open bit of road - you can generally see a long way. If you travel narrower canyon roads like Lefthand or Deer Creek Canyon you'll see a lot more people on bicycles.

Regardless, in CO it's "share the road", and we mean it.

In fact, just about anywhere you travel in CO that's off the freeways, you're likely to find bikes to share the road with.

US-36/CO-66 between Lyons and Estes Park was still under reconstruction last week, and two sections were down to one-way traffic with a pilot car. If I had to go again, I'd have taken CO-7 instead of waiting for the pilot car.