I've been browsing around the forums and researching our family road trip for Summer of 2014. We'd like to hit the road for about 5-weeks. We're leaving from Orlando, FL (Well, we'll probably actually leave from Daytona Beach, FL, because we'd like to do an Atlantic-Pacific trip).
Here's what we know so far --
1. My husband would like to hit as many states as is possible. We'd ideally like to take the kids to all 50 states before they graduate high school. His current theory is that we would do 1. West trip 2. Midwest Trip 3. East trip 4. Hawaii 5. Alaska over the next 7 years or so.
2. I really want to take the kids to the Grand Canyon on this trip.
3. I really don't want to spend crazy amounts of hours on the road on each day. My limit for a day is really about 8 hours. If there was some reason to really push a day or two here and there, I'd be OK with it.
4. Ideally, we'd come up with an itinerary that included - Glacier, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon. Any other national parks (or Mt. Rushmore) that we could reasonably include would be a huge bonus.
5. Husband would like to go through Kansas City to see family, and is also a huge fan of the Alamo.
Does anyone have a route saved that hits these highlights? Suggestions as we go about mapping the route? Other National Parks that are must sees?
I'll appreciate any and all feedback immensely. We've never really attempted a road trip on this scale before.