Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grocery stores!

That's what we used to do, too, GLC, and it's why I happened to have several very large kitchen trash-sized bags full of bags. So I have lots to reuse.

I will be kind and not get into the politics of this whole thing. I just posted it for informational reasons, not to rant over my own views of this proposition.

Donna

Default No plastic bags for groceries

I don't use plastic bags at all -- at least not from grocery stores. We carry reusable cloth bags in our car and use them to transport groceries.

mark

Amending this old thread, FWIW:

I have found that if a store in California sells ANY groceries, they are not allowed to give you the cheap plastic bags. So you need to take bags into Dollar Tree, 99c Only, and Big Lots, because they sell some groceries. Or, prepare to pay 10c per bag that you use.

The Military Exchange and Commissary, where my husband and I do a lot of our shopping (he's retired military), does not have to abide by this law. Part of it, probably, is because the small percentage of the bill is a surcharge that pays for the workforce and the bags. These are nice, strong bags that are almost as strong as the ones you pay 10c for at WM and other stores. AAMOF, when we take commissary bags into other stores, the cashiers often comment about "what sturdy bags these are, where did you get them?" because they are completely unmarked.

Little story: last summer, coming home from our Pacific Northwest trip, we stopped at a grocery store in a little town in northern California, and forgot our bags! The lady asked where we were from, and we sheepishly answered, "California, but we've been out of state for a few!" We took our groceries without bags, though we could have gone out to the truck and gotten one or two. The woman shared that she had a lot of out-of-state'rs that were shocked to have to pay for bags. She said her little store was one that had not prepared early for that Bill to pass. It took them a couple of months to switch over.

Donna