I can not find another site with more knowledge when it comes to US road trips than this one however, having never been to the US before it is completely overwhelming, so many sights, so many ideas. We (me and my fiancee live in a little town in the South of UK).
Me and my fiancee are soon to be married in late July this year and have 3 weeks (max 23 days) over August to plan a road trip in an effort to explore not only wonderful cities but also the great outdoors and spend some time in the popular, never to be forgotten National Parks. The time frame as stated is 3 weeks, the budget is £6,000 and it is just the 2 of us.
What we enjoy...City life (eating out, restaurants, museums, art and culture, bars/clubs in moderation) Outdoors (Love to drive and explore, National Parks and sights of beauty, camping, being off the beaten track, opportunity to take some amazing photos).
So far our very basic plan (it is a blank canvas of sorts) and welcoming any advice, sights to see is....
1. Fly into San Francisco (start and end point for cheaper flights and easy car hire) spend 2/3 days
2. Yosemite National Park (2/3 days?) - would like to explore this alittle and perhaps camp a night or two!
3. Las Vegas (perhaps via Death Valley - 2 nights)
4. Grand Canyon National Park - Don't know if this is somewhere you would spend a couple of days or just stop off at?
5. San Diego - A long stretch from Grand Canyon NP but if there is somewhere recommended to stop off along the way? (2/3 days)
6. Los Angeles - 2/3 days
7. San Francisco (fly back to the UK)
I know the above itinerary seems like a cliché but for our first trip out i think this would be a good adventure. There is probably alot we are missing here in regards to beautiful little routes to take and places to stop off at so i really appreciate any advice/tips. Again let me know if this is going to be stretched for just 3 weeks, we could always miss out San Diego to cut it shorter.
Many thanks all, lookforwards to your ideas.