Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default I appreciate that, and.........

.......as of 3 hours ago I altered my plans to leave at 0600 tomorrow morning. We should arrive and be done in time to bug out by shortly after noon tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

Foy

Thumbs up Good luck.

Foy.

I have been following the news from this side of water, and although I have nothing useful to add, I would just like to say Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you and the property. [And of course everyone else who sits in Irene's path]

[Fingers crossed] Dave.

Default Ohhh, this is going the WRONG WAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Foy.

I have been following the news from this side of water, and although I have nothing useful to add, I would just like to say Good luck and I hope it all works out well for you and the property. [And of course everyone else who sits in Irene's path]

[Fingers crossed] Dave.

The 11 am forecast has shifted the axis of the track a bit to the WEST, whereas it's been shifting EAST since Monday. I'm now shutting down the office computer and headed home to get the truck ready for departure THIS AFTERNOON, so hopefully we can get back out of town by early tomorrow morning, before Va Beach declares an evacuation order, which they may do at any time. All but the southwesternmost counties on the NC coast have already declared evacuation orders. Virginia is, as noted by George, under a state of emergency, and an evacuation order is currently under consideration. There are but 3 routes out of the City of Virginia Beach, all 3 involve bridges or bridge-tunnels, and all 3 bridges/bridge-tunnels are but 2 lanes in each direction. The great majority of tourist traffic exiting the NC Outer Banks comes in to the city of Chesapeake, next door to the City of Va Beach and just inside of the US 64 bridge over the Elizabeth River, where it would merge with my vector back home, so traffic bedlam might be expected if evacuation orders are issued for Va Beach tonight or tomorrow.

Yikes!

Foy

Default Easy trip Thursday evening, no anticipation of problems leaving today

We're boarded up with the obligatory slogan spray-painted on the plywood. In 2003 it was "Bite Me Isabel" and this year it's "Good Night Irene".

Only the Sandbridge section of the City of Virginia Beach and a few particularly low-lying areas in Norfolk and elsewhere in Tidewater are under evacuation orders. We're not anticipating any problems getting back out of here.

Very little traffic encountered last night but it was clear that some of our fellow travelers were headed north from shortened vacations along the NC coast. We're going to hang around another hour or two to help some neighbors move furniture, etc from their lower floors, then we'll hie back to NC, where our position some 160-175 miles from the centerline of the track should leave us unscathed by Irene.

More later,

Foy

Default Android Phone: Mobile FEMA reporting app

As a good first test of the FEMA mobile reporting app, this site provides information for users of the Android phones...

Mark

Foy, there was a photo on MSN yesterday of a home boarded up. On the boards was written "Good Night, Irene". Was that you, or did somebody else have the same idea?

Anyway, I went to work this morning singing that song. Great song. Loved both The Weavers' and Peter, Paul and Mary's versions of it.

Donna

Default Preparation in New England

I felt the earthquake - I was in a meeting and the room was shaking. A bit disconcerting, but we got lucky with that.

We're getting ready up here as well; having a couple more days than our friends in the South is helpful. A very wet summer means that we are watching for trees falling over more easily, since the ground is saturated. That and the June tornado cleanup is still continuing, along with that from a strong July storm. A tree fell on I-91 Thursday near the CT-MA line; it was not a windy day.

The latest forecast I had seen was for 70mph winds and up to 15 inches of rain here in MA.

Good luck to everybody in the path of this storm - stay safe!

Default Boston??

Tim, would you have any idea how this is affecting Boston.... in particular as far inland as Newton?

Have not heard from family, but then I guess they are otherwise engaged. Been listening to NY and CT radio, but, my specific interest is in Boston. And trees falling over sounds spooky. Son has many very large and very old trees around his and neighbouring homes.

Guess I am just a concerned Mum.

Lifey

Default Probably not us

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Foy, there was a photo on MSN yesterday of a home boarded up. On the boards was written "Good Night, Irene". Was that you, or did somebody else have the same idea?

Anyway, I went to work this morning singing that song. Great song. Loved both The Weavers' and Peter, Paul and Mary's versions of it.

Donna
    Donna,

We kept our hurricane board-up materials stored after Isabel in 2003, so ours display admonitions for both Isabel and Irene, the initials of the board-up crews, and the dates.

Lifey,

The unfortunate reality is much of the inland, non-flooding damage from a hurricane is caused by falling trees. During Fran in 1996 we in Raleigh, NC had thousands and thousands of trees down. I had 29 down in my yard alone, but not a single one hit the house. We had moved our sons to the lowest and most protected (below grade) part of the house the night before in anticipation of falling trees crunching the more exposed side, but it never happened. We had moved our vehicles to an open shopping center parking lot a couple of miles away, a wise move given the two large trees which would have flattened them in their normal parking places.

Foy

Default Exodus from Outer Banks and Tidewater, VA

A little past 2pm yesterday had us on the road west and south back to NC. At the point at which NC and VA 168-the primary exit routes north from the Outer Banks, ties in to the I-64/I-664 loop in Chesapeake, VA- gridlock began. From that point and around both the I-64 route across the Hampton-Roads Bridge-Tunnel (HRBT) and the I-664 route across Monitor & Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel (MMBT), traffic was stop and roll all afternoon according to the local FM radio stations and our own observations. The geography of coastal rivers and swamps requires us to reach the western side of Suffolk, VA before any alternate routes are available, and the 5 stoplights in Suffolk created a 6 mile stop and roll. The local police were belatedly setting up to direct traffic through the lights as we cleared town. It took us 2 hours to reach VA 189 west of Suffolk, normally a 45-55 minute drive from the beach house.

At that point we'd had it with the rolling traffic jam, although moving along between 40-50 mph by then, so we connected to US 258 at Beale's Corner and bushwhacked southwest to US 158 at Murfreesboro, NC, then kept 158 to old US 301 near Weldon, NC. Traffic was, as I predicted, not an issue whatsoever once we got off of US 58 west of Suffolk. On old 301 we crossed the Roanoke River, had a massive buffet-style supper at Ralph's BBQ in Roanoke Rapids, got a large cup of black coffee to go, and enjoyed light southbound traffic on I-95 to US 64 at Rocky Mount, NC. Turning west towards Raleigh, we encountered fairly heavy traffic fleeing the Outer Banks, where US 64 terminates at Nag's Head, but we managed to run the 70 mph speed limit all the way in. We saw two long convoys of out-of-state utility company crews northbound as well as flatbed after flatbed with trailer-mounted generators loaded up.

Farther north, radio stations reported 20-30 mile back-ups on I-95 north of Richmond, where much of the vacation traffic from the Outer Banks was headed, and our friends in the Baltimore and Annapolis, MD area reported gridlock across their region.

A cold bottle of Bud, a pillow, and 9 hours of sleep followed. The 9 hours was but one hour short of what I'd had in the 3 previous nights combined.

The lesson here is long-term planning. I think a sound approach is taking the predicted passing of the eye at a given location, backing that up, say, 6 hours for wiggle room, then backing 30-36 hours and setting up one's bug-out time at that point is good practice for many NC and VA coastal locales. We hesitate to move that quickly, however, as we don't want to go through the physically demanding and expensive processes of boarding up, dumping the refrigerator/freezer contents, and such unless absolutely necessary. Our little exercise alone cost about $300 in diesel fuel, materials, ice, bottled water, and nonperishable food.

We're getting just a spot of rain and some blustery winds in Raleigh now (10:30am Saturday) and the radar shows us right on the westernmost edge of the storm. I expect the sun to break out later today.

Best of luck to all north along I-95 and all points east of it. You're in for a meteorological condition known as a "butt-kicking".

Foy