Hey Roadtrip America people!
I've started playing around with the RTA Map/RT tools (Map Center/Wizard) - it seems like a nice tool. However, before I put the tens/hundreds of hours into using it for my road trips, I had a number of questions and ideas for possible future enhancements. And I was wondering where the right place to ask general questions, or post feature requests is?
I'm guessing this is the right place for general questions, at least, so I'll list some here for now. :)
1. Where do I post feature requests?
2. How much effort is going into improving the tool? (Is it open source? How many full time developers are working on it? (I'm guessing like 10% of a web developer? :) How often are new features implemented? And on what timescale? Days, weeks, months? )
3. Is there any possibility of users donating time to help improve the code/add features? (I'm a software developer, and am on the verge of writing my own tools for this exact purpose at this point... :) )
4. How secure is the RTA database? Is it backed up? I am worried about putting 200 hours into my Custom Places, then to log in one day and have them all missing with a "we updated the site!" note... :)
5. Or worse, to visit the site one day only to see "RTA is shutting down, sorry!" and losing all my data - is there any way to back up/save my Custom Places and Maps to my local machine, just in case of such an emergency?
6. Is there currently, or are there plans to develop, an iphone or android app that accesses the RTA Map data? During a roadtrip, smart phones are much easier to use for this. It could even have the GPS integration!