Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

I sent her a link to Fretz - did you get that, Lifey?

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I sent her a link to Fretz - did you get that, Lifey?
    Yes, thanks. I had already emailed them, but have not yet received a reply. On the other hand, I have already had a further question from Keystone. I shall wait and see what they all have to say. I see this morning that there is mail from the salesman and Ford dealer in Doylestown as well. So starting to look good.

Where would I be without you guys!

Lifey

Edit: Just got an email... Fretz are fully booked up for my timeline, and booking well into April.
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-09-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: additional information

Default Incredible!!

This happens time and again, and I am constantly puzzled why I can't do this on my own. The first link Dave posted was for an Auto Electrician. On that site there is a link to ERA. And their site has a link to find members.

So far I have found two within 50 miles of Doylestown. (Curiously, Keystone Auto Electrical Repair Shop is not one of them.) One near St Paul, and two near Orland Park IL - friend's location. Just contacted said friend on Skype, and he reminded me of the place where I had my brakes attended to, and said that Ken does that work as well.

Keeping all my options open.

Once again, a single mention in this thread opened up a world of information. (And I am still no further along with the packing!)

Lifey
    Heading for the Horizon

Default The end of the road.

Well guys, I think this is it. I cannot imagine what can possibly derail from here.

The title has been issued. The plates are with the salesman. The insurance policy is in my possession (via email). Everything has been paid for. It's finally all in place.

The trip to Doylestown is complete. Four nights in Doylestown with Couchsurfers, during which time Jerry, from the Keystone Auto Electrical Repair Shop will install the auxiliary battery in the van. He was able to listen to me, to the way I travel, and where I travel. He researched the WAECO to make sure he knew exactly what it was I would be using and how I would be using it. Has agreed to install it on 29th, and will need the van for around four hours. A most reasonable quote. In fact, half the cost that two RV places quoted. But then, if you read what-not-all they wanted to do, it blows your mind away. People who deal with those vehicles are not capable of embracing the mindset of a minimalist. All they can do is think BIG!!!

I am most fortunate that an artist Couchsurfer in Doylestown has invited me to come to Philadelphia with her on Fri 30th March, when she will be teaching art as part of a project called Villages for Humanity. Even though I have transited twice through Philly, I have never visited there, and could not possibly pass up this invitation. It will be great to see some of the place at grass roots, in the company of a local.

Sat 31st I will drive to Newton, where I will then spend the next 9 days with the family; and where my little fridge is waiting for me. The final touch, my Garmin Nuvi should arrive in the mail whilst I am in MA.

On the Tuesday after Easter I will set out for St Paul MN, via Detroit and Orland Park IL. Plan to take the route through Canada without any sightseeing. And yeah, I have already booked my hotel along the way. Now I am living with the fear of something delaying me, and losing that hotel booking.

After spending a few hours in Detroit - two places I want to visit - I shall continue on to Orland Park IL where I will be staying with friends for two nights... friends whom I met on the last trip to AK. And on Friday 13th - oh! horror! - I will drive to St Paul MN, where I will spend the weekend with son's in-laws. (Hopefully snow will be gone, and construction not yet started. Wishful thinking!)

This is not exactly winging it. 21 nights already organised. I can't believe I have actually done this. But be assured, after this it's freestyle all the way.

So, until I post a Field Report, all that's left to say is thanks to each and everyone of you.

Lifey
    Heading for the Horizon

Do you have someone lined up in Newton to help you install the fridge?

Default Happy Adventures!

Have a good trip.

Keep the rubber side down!

Mark

Default Cometh the hour.

Well not exactly the hour, but it's getting real close to the start of your adventure and I'm quite sure you must be 'Pumped up' with excitement and anticipation !!

I hope you have a smooth journey over there, and that all works out well with your new purchase and all that goes with it !! Have a wonderful time and I for one, can't wait to to get updates and follow your next incredible journey through text and pictures on RTA.

Have a wonderful trip !

Dave. [And of course from Lezli who says Hi !]

Default Hours......

Thanks Dave.

Yes, it is 37 hours till the flying kangaroo takes off, on it's long haul to LAX. I will be so glad when I am on board. At least then I will no longer worry about what I have forgotten, and what I still need to do.

And right now I should not be here typing. Still nowhere near packed.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 03-24-2012 at 04:57 AM. Reason: typo

Default On the road.

It's good to know that after all this time you have finally picked up your vehicle and are ready to put it to the test !!

For anyone looking in, follow Lifey's adventures around the USA in the Ford, Here.

Safe travels.

Dave.

Default My 2002 Chilly Red VW Transporter T4, Diesel, Automatic and wannabee camper.

Thought I would introduce the new sibling for my Ford E150.

Around Christmas it all became too much. I was missing life in my little van. I was missing life on the road. But without a van, it seemed unthinkable.

I started my search, and after considering and looking at dozens, Toyotas, Mitsubishis, Fords (nothing like my E150) and more, I was lucky to finally find a VW. Got it at Easter time, and since then, life has been hectic getting it ready for my first trip.

I was fortunate to learn of a business where they restore old VWs, especially Kombi campers and bugs. The owner was very interested in working on my Transporter, as he rarely sees them, but is starting to get enquiries. We've made a pact to do all the work at a price I can afford, over an extended period.

Since the cargo area was basically an empty shell, he sold me the Dynamat to put on all panels and the floor. Big job, but with six year old grandson, we did an amazing job. This has made it much quieter and will add a measure of insulation. Right now it is having a marine plywood floor installed, a house battery for the fridge and a swivel on the passenger seat.

My trip up North to the Red Centre will be with an air mattress on the floor and all my camping equipment in the crates we have always used for camping. A folding picnic table together with the swivel seat will make for a neat work / eating area. A gerry can for water and portable toilet will complete the outfit.

Future outfitting plans are fluent, changing from day to day. It was on another forum where I found a member with the same model Transporter, who lives in the same State. His outfit looks very interesting. He has been most helpful, and I will be copying much of his ideas.

Can't wait to hit the road - albeit for only 10 days.

Lifey
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 05-02-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo