I've been planning our next trip to the US for ages but only now, with a couple months left am I getting anywhere close to organised.
We've been to San Francisco, Yellowstone and Denver on previous trips, but want to use the two cities as start and end points this time, and can't wait to return to Yellowstone.
Here is the current itinerary idea, planned to fly out the last Friday in August:
Friday - Fly LHR to SFO, pick up car, overnight in SF.
Sat - Take advantage of Jetlag - early start north, some vineyards in Napa Valley and then up the coast, stay somewhere around Fort Bragg.
Sun - Head on up the coast, see lots of Redwoods, stay somewhere close to OR border.
Mon -Head for Seattle, enjoy whatever is on the way - not really researched this bit yet!
Tues - Enjoy Seattle area
Weds - Head east through Washington, to stay somewhere around Spokane.
Thurs - Nip across Idaho and into Montana for trip up to Glacier NP
Fri - Drive the 'Going to the Sun Road', enjoy the scenery, stay east side of Glacier.
Sat - Turn south to get to Yellowstone area.
Sun/Mon - We know there is plenty to stay around Yellowstone for! End Monday south of the park, stay around Jackson Hole.
Tues - Two days to get to RMNP, not entirely sure of route, but one day is probably pushing it.
Thurs - Trail Ridge Road and explore RMNP. stay in Boulder or straight to Denver
Fri - Enjoy Denver area, hit the malls for some shopping to take home.
Sat - Fly back to London.
Approx Google Maps plan looks like this: http://goo.gl/maps/aLjX
Plan is still pretty vague, so very keen to hear any thoughts. It's quite a lot of driving, with just the mapped route being 2632 miles, so I guess it will be 3500 once we include exploring, but we've done similar before and had a great time. I had looked at a circular route from Denver, but prefer the variety on this route, and flight prices are similar and one-way charges on the car rental not too bad.
Are we pretty safe to be driving as north and high elevation as Glacier NP right at the beginning of September? I know there was snow in mid September last year and the GTTS road had to be closed. Obviously don't want to get stranded, although we can re-route further south and miss that section if weather is looking cold.
Any thoughts very much appreciated!