I am planning a roadtrip to California this summer and am looking for overall advice. The plan thus far is to go by myself, but that could change before July. I am really excited about the idea of being out on the road alone and doing exactly what I want, but I also want to be smart and safe.
I have a couple of MUST SEE's, some places I've been told to visit and places I will stop to visit/stay with friends or family. I know that I have 25-27 days, but I haven't fully decided on how much time to spend in any particular place. I have a skeleton and want to see what is realistic when thinking about driving by myself... I won't have anyone to trade with =)
- Houston -> Austin 3-4 days
- Austin -> Pecos, TX or El Paso, TX
- Pecos, TX or El Paso, TX -> Carlsbad, NM
- Carlsbad, NM -> Silver City, NM (Possible detour to Roswell, NM)
- Silver City, NM -> Phoenix, AZ
- Phoenix, AZ -> Flagstaff, AZ (Grand Canyon, Sedona)
- Flagstaff, AZ -> Las Vegas, NV
- Las Vegas, NV -> San Diego, CA
- San Diego, CA -> Pacific Coast Highway (Stopping at beaches, not sure how far north to go)
- San Francisco, CA -> Reno, NV
- Reno, NV -> Denver, CO (Family, Other Towns In Colorado TBD)
- Denver, CO -> Houston, TX (No ideas where to stop... Amarillo? Maybe Dallas)
After looking at the list I know that this will be a stretch in the amount of time that I have. I am open to any suggestions, changes, ideas, etc. I can change or leave a lot a lot of things but MUST SEE:
Carlsbad, NM (Caverns)
Flagstaff, AZ (Grand Canyon, Friend)
Las Vegas, NV
San Diego, CA (And Surrounding Beaches/L.A.)
Denver, CO (Family)
I haven't done a trip alone like this before so any advice will be helpful I'm sure. I have been daydreaming about it for months now and slowly planning, but I want to start locking things down now.
Also, is there anything specific I should do or get checked on my car it is only a year old....