Hi all and Merry Christmas.
Our family is heading to the US from Western Australia in May 2011 and we can't wait. It has always been my dream to do a US road trip and now I'll be spending my 40th birthday doing just that!
Here is our itinerary that I have spent the last couple of months planning. I thought I had it all perfectly set out and then I come across this site (thankfully) and realise I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew on a few legs! Some advice/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
1. Perth to LAX (via Auckland, New Zealand). Hire car picked up once recovered from jet lag.
2. Five days in Anaheim and LA - hit disneyland first.
3. Drive to San Diego and spend three nights there.
4. San Diego to San Luis Obispo - 2 nights
5. SLO to San Fransisco - 5 nights
6. SF to Yosemite- 2 nights
7. Yosemite to Lone Pine via Tioga Pass- 1 night
8. Lone pine to Beatty via Death Valley- 1 night
9. Beatty to Las Vegas - 2 nights
10. Las Vegas to Grand Canyon - 2 nights
11. GC to LV again - 4 nights
12. LV to LA - 1 night and fly home the next day.
OK...I think I have underestimated the Yosemite to LV legs (legs 7-9) and may need one more night in there and perhaps take a night from the first LV stop. Our flights are booked so I can't extend the overall trip. I assumed the Tioga pass would be open in June, but from reading this site it appears it may not be, so we will now have to go south, which will make that leg a lot longer.
However, this now means we may possibly get to see the Sequioas. I need a suggestion for another place to make an overnight stop on this leg.
I know Death Valley is going to be stinking hot in June so unfortunately it is just going to be a drive through for us.
Hope this is not too confusing and someone can help.