I'm planning a 3 week road trip on the Gulf Coast starting in the end of February 2011. Me and my girl-friend want to go road tripping somewhere warm and by the coast, and I've already done southern California once so I figured this trip could be good alternative.
Our wishes are to eat a lot of sea food, drive a convertible, bath in the ocean, and see some local architecture (hence N.O, Miami, Savannah etc.)
The plan is to start and end in New Orleans and drive (only by the coast) south east to Miami, then north to Charleston and finally speed back on the interstate to New Orleans. Please take a look at the route here:
My questions are these:
- Is this trip a good idea?! If not, where else besides California can we get sunshine and sea that time of year?
- Will the beaches east of New Orleans be nice despite of the recent oil catastrophe?
- Is down town New Orleans intact and still worth visiting since the hurricane Katharina?
- Will this trip be OK for 3 weeks?
- What gems should one not miss on this trip?
Hope you guys can help me out! Thanks!