Family of 5 (2 adults;3 boys) flying in to LA from Australia arriving 18 April 2011 (departing LA for Australia 11 May 2011). Will stay LA until 23 April, hire a car and then drive directly to Grand Canyon. Will book accom for LA (arrival and departure) and Grand Canyon before leaving Aust.
Itinerary after GC is head to Las Vegas for a couple of days then driving through Death Valley on to Sequoia National Park up to Yosemite then to San Fran back down to LA.
Fully understand from all I have read here there will be certain roads closed at this time of year and the stop-overs required Las Vegas up to Yosemite, via Death Valley and Sequoia National Park.
Question. At this time of year can we afford not to pre-book accom and take a chance on finding available accom at a reasonable price for a family of 5 along the way, ie in Las Vegas, somewhere between Death Valley and Sequoia Nat Park and somewhere up near or in Yosemite Nat Park. Not sure what will be appreciated (liked or disliked by us esp boys in respect of the sightseeing) and where we'd possibly like to stay longer or shorter and would like the feeling of being able to change travel plans within limits of our timeframe. This would be the same for San Fran and heading along the coast road back to LA.
My thoughts were re accom was to have a list of a few within each region we'd be looking at staying - just more concerned with availability (and for 5 people). There is the alternate that pre-booking can be cheaper and we'd then just have to stick to our itinerary. a decision for us to make dependant on what info you provide here. Thanks