I've been reading through this forum/website, and its been very informative indeed. My boyfriend and myself are planning a road trip next year to do the main three, LA, San Fran and Las Vegas. We already have our flights booked for travel 14th - 28th June 2011, but nothing else yet is planned apart from a rough trip outline. I was wondering if you guys would mind looking at this and seeing if it seems feasible in the 2 weeks we have:
day 1 - land in LA
day 2 - all day LA
day 3 - head up to stay in San Luis Obsipo (or surrounding area) via Santa Barbara
day 4 - big sur to Monterey, stay over in Monterey (was considering Santa Cruz instead, not sure which place is better/nicer to stay)
day 5 - head up to San Francisco
day 6 - all day San Francisco
day 7 - all day San Francisco
day 8 - head up to Yosemite National Park
day 9 - all day Yosemite
day 10 - yosemite, then head through tioga pass (I am very concerned about this being closed still!), head down to big pine to stay overnight
day 11 - death valley
day 12 - las vegas
day 13 - las Vegas, then leave and head to Palm springs for overnight
day 14 - head back to LA and evening flight home
These are the things I'm mainly concerned about:
1. Do we need to spend 2 nights heading along highway 1 up to San Fran? I was worried that just spending 1 night would mean an awful lot of driving both days.
2. San Fran - Yosemite, is it ok to do this in one day without staying overnight between the places?
3. Concerned about where to stay in Yosemite. Everywhere inside the park is extremely expensive, I'm worried the places just outside the park are too far away from the park to stay for 2 nights?
4. I'm concerned about tioga pass, and what we should do if it is closed. I've read a lot of threads on this but I'm still so unsure what a backup should be. We would hit the pass around the 21st/22nd June.
5. Is it stupid to go to death valley this late in June? I'm very excited for the experience, but don't want to be doing anything stupid.
6. Would it be ok to travel back to LA from Palm springs on the same day we fly out? I feel like we don't want to waste a night in LA just to make sure we are there for our flight, when we could be seeing somewhere else.
I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice any of you guys could give. Our only previous experience of America prior to this is a trip we took to NYC back in May. We loved it so much, this has spurred us to see more of the states.