I just found this forum and need some help planning a road trip in September 2010. This is an educational trip for a homeschool family. Here is my tentative route (suggestions/additions are welcomed):
Atlanta, Asheville (Biltmore), Williamsburg, VA, Washington DC, Bethesda, MD (USU), Philadelphia (Liberty Bell), New York City, Amish Country - PA, and return to Atlanta
We do not have a specified time limit, but estimate 10-14 days. Here are some of our plans and/or questions:
(1) Spend one day at Biltmore
(2) Spend 1-2 days in Colonial Williamsburg
(3) Spend 1-2 days in DC and Bethesda - we have visited DC before and only plan on seeing a few things we missed.
(4) One day in Philadelphia ? is this enough?
(5) 2-3 days in New York City - lots of questions here:
I would like to drive to an outlying suburb, park my car, and use public transportation in NYC. I need suggestions on where to park my car (that is safe and allowed), should I stay in a hotel here, or stay in NYC?, suggestions on where to stay in NYC that is not super-expensive, but safe, and must-see things in NYC
(6) From NYC, I would like to come back through Amish County. Need suggestions on complete return trip - where to stop, things to see along the way, and time needed at each. We are mainly interested in Historical/educational sites as this is a school trip.
Please send me any and all suggestions.