We are planning a driving trip in September this year, and are undecided about the final part of our route. The current plan is...
1. fly into LA
2. internal flight up to Seattle, pick up hire car
3. drive up to Vancouver and stay with friends 2 nights 1 day
4. drive to Yellowstone, possibly via Glacier NP
5. drive down to Salt Lake City to catch flight back to LA - but detour to cover Arches and Canyonlands (we did Bryce, Zion, Grand Canyon, DV, Yosemite, etc last year)
5. drive down to Denver to catch flight back to LA - possibly detouring to include Grant Teton and or Rocky Mountain NP
We thought we would be better flying back to LA rather than doing the last leg by road since it saved us a day or two (we have done route-timetable and it is a bit tight).
The main decision we are stuck on is whether to go via Salt Lake City or Denver. We both love driving (him driving, me navigating) and are happy to spend many hours on the road. Scenery is more our thing rather than towns/cities. Last years highlights were Bryce then DV.
Any advice greatfully received.