Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Tucson Traffic

Tucson can be a little tricky, simply because the town is pretty rabidly anti-highway and so basically you have to get around by surface streets and getting across town can easily take an hour all by itself.

I guess the question becomes where do you think you'll spend most of your time? If you are planning to spend a lot of time in Sabino Canyon, or on Mount Lemmon, you'd probably want to stay on the East side of Tucson like the Catalina Foothills or Tanque Verde areas. If you plan to visit attractions west of Tucson, like the Desert Museum, or the attractions and towns to the South, then you'd probably want to stay somewhere near the Interstates, like Marana on the Northwest Side, or Sahuarita and Green Valley to the South, or even near Downtown Tucson.

Default Overwhelming!

I had a look at VRBO's list of options for Tucson, and even I am overwhelmed. Over 60 'neighborhoods' listed! I haven't heard of half of them and I live here! So you've got a daunting task ahead of you and I'll try to be as much help as I can. First: I've used VRBO on many, many occasions and I've never been disappointed. My one and only caveat is to make sure to choose a rental that has lots of pictures so that you see exactly what you're getting. Pick something that suits your style as well as your budgetary and geographic requirements. Second: Tucson is very bicycle friendly, with both dedicated bike paths and clearly marked bike lanes on most major streets. (I assume that you'll be renting a human powered bike, no?). So, figure out where in Tucson you want to get to or be near and I'll try to help you wade through VRBO's listings. The first thing you should notice when you look at a map of Tucson is that the majority of the city is laid out on a fairly regular grid pattern with major streets running north/south and east/west and each a mile apart from the next major parallel street. It is customary to indicate where you are (roughly) in town by simply noting the closest major intersection of two main streets. E.G. the University Medical Center is at Speedway and Campbell. So, don't panic, but it may take a few iterations to get you where you need to be.

AZBuck

3. Default Tucson places to stay

Whatto me old Colonial Cousins, it's been a while since I pestered you!

After sweeping all the Gold medals off the table here in London for any event that we Brits can sit down at, (Rowing, Sailing, Cycling, Horse riding, etc) my chum & I are looking to take the old 'trouble & stife' (that's wife to you), on a well earned break. We're looking to visit Arizona in mid September, travel a bit in a rental car, (Apache Trail & of course a touch of route 66 - Holbrook across & then down to Phoenix, suggestions happily accepted for places to stop off). We then intend to rent a couple of motorcycles for 3 or 4 days. Looking at places to stay in Tucson has however left me a tad confused. My chum does like a little tipple in the evening and whereas I'd be happy to rent a place for a few days, but from those I've seen so far it does seem that doing so would mean we're at least a ride away from watering holes, and we don't like to drink & drive, nor do we wish to fall foul of the local Constabulary. The better Hotels seem quite expensive (or maybe the Pound is not that strong), but I just wondered if anyone could suggest somewhere that might be suitable around say $100 a night per couple, or is that a bridge too far? A pool would be nice, with a Bar and Eating options either on site or a stroll away.

As always, any suggestions are gratefully received. Must go now, it's time for Tiffin.

Toodle Pip

Default 4th

4th Ave was always the big nightlife section of Tucson, not too far from the U of A, and there are a handful hotels in the general area.

There's a Marriot right at the University Campus, otherwise, there's a Best Western and several other hotels near the Pima Community College campus, around Speedway and Stone, that would all be within walking distance (about a mile) of that area. Taking a quick look, they should all be within your price range.

Default Around My State

As a Tucsonan, I would agree with Michael about the University Park Marriott. You would be within easy walking distance of both the University Avenue (Gentle Ben's, the Frog and Firkin, etc.) watering holes as well as the Fourth Avenue watering holes. Anywhere else would either put you in a less desirable part of town or in a resort-type setting where it's the resort bar or a good drive.

As for your loop drive from Tucson up to Holbrook and back to Phoenix, I will recommend the Coronado Trail (US-191) up the eastern side of the state. It's admittedly a bit out of the way, but well worth it. On the way from Tucson over to US-191 around Wilcox, give some serious consideration to taking a tour of Kartchner Caverns. Taking US-191 up to St. Johns and then US-180 to Holbrook also puts you in position to explore the Petrified Forest National Park. And as you work yoour way west to Flagstaff on the remnants of old US-66 another spot worth checking out is Walnut Canyon National Monument.

On the drive south from Flagstaff, use AZ-89A through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona on the way to Phoenix. After you pick up your bikes, some daytrips out of Phoenix might include AZ-87 up to Payson and the Mogollon Rim, AZ-88 to Roosevelt Lake (You can combine the two in a loop using AZ-188 as a connector.), and US-60 up through the Salt River Canyon.

AZBuck

Default The Frog!

Thanks for the blast from the past, Buck!

The Frog and Firkin was probably my favorite place to go out an have a beer during my time in Tucson. Much more laid back than the 4th ave scene.

Actually, that was probably 2nd favorite, its not quite as fun as the Buffet at 8am after working overnights!

7. Default

Gents,

As ever, I knew I could rely on you, many thanks.

Just one more thing, I understand from some web reading that the Apache Trail is partly unpaved and a little bit scary in places. Is this part passable / possible on a Harley? (We're both 50 something bikers with nearly 40 years riding experience in Europe each).

8. Default Places to stay in Phoenix

Hi again, the planning for our trip to AZ in September is falling into shape slowly along the following lines:-

Day 1 - Hotel near the airport after LONG flight time.
    Days 2, 3, & 4 - Travel to Tucson, visit Tombstone, PIMA Air museum.
    Day 5 Back to Phoenix for some retail therapy, then head North towards route 66
    Days 6 & 7 Route 66 touristy things! Stopping off at Holbrook to sleep in a concrete Wigwam?
    Days 8 to 11. Staying in or near to Phoenix, renting Motorcycles for a few days (expensive!!!!)
    Day 12 Blighty

2 queries:-

1/ Is it doable?

2/ Where to stay in Phoenix (circa $100 a night) that's either got a bar, or is close to places to eat & drink, (towards the east would be good if possible as we'd like to do a bit of riding around the Apache Trail.

Thanks as always.

Moderator Note: Please keep all questions about the same trip in the same thread - check your PM
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-20-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Merged 5 Threds together