Hoping someone can help with advice on interesting places to stop between LA and New Orleans?
We are a young Australian couple who love kitsch Americana (and old American movies, blues and jazz music) - old gas stations/diners etc. and are hoping to see some amazing desert vistas/historic sites/frontier towns along the way.
We leave LA on 13th December and have about about 14 days to get to New Orleans - I know this is quite a long trip so am concerned we might not have enough time? Some places we really want to see are:
1. Joshua Tree NP (staying in Palm Springs)
2. Yuma (prison museum)
3. Calexico and cross border to Mexicali for a daytrip (is this worth it or is it cheesy/touristy)?
4. Albuquerque to Santa Rosa along route 66
5. Bisbee to stay at the Shadey Dell RV park (any other ideas on offbeat accommodation would be great!)
6. Austin Texas for at least two nights to see some great music
7. Some real Louisianan Cajun culture
Any ideas and idea of time (how long would this take us - is two weeks enough?) would be most appreciated - we love this site and getting very excited already!!
Julie and Josh