My friend and I are taking a road trip from Orange County, CA to Madison, WI (one way) during the last week of May. I'm moving with a lot of stuff in my trunk and in the back seats (2003 Corolla LE). I'm very excited about moving & taking a road trip but since this is my first time doing it and the fact we are females, I thought coming to this forum is the smart thing to do. =)
We have 4 days for completing the trip, and would be driving around 500 miles a day (maximum). We would like to drive on a route to pass Denver, CO in order to see a friend. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate any advice.
1) The fastest route seems to be via Utah, Colorado and Nebraska (I-15, I-70 and I-80). I'm only concerned about driving the Rocky Mt. area with fully loaded compact sedan. Any other suggested route? I'd like to avoid any possible problems and just need stop by Denver, CO.
2) What is a good point to break between LA and Denver?
3) What is a good point to break between Denver and Madison? Lincoln or Omaha or somewhere else?
4) It may sound like a silly question, do you think is it wise book a hotel before the trip or set a daily limit of driving and get a hotel around the area? (Do research of the area, have a list of hotels beforehand) I'm bit concerned "what if" something happens and can't reach our booked hotels.
4) Any advice for first-time drivers?
Thanks very much for your advice in advance and I hope I didn't miss anything. =)