Hi everyone! I'm a spanish traveller which some days ago discovered roadtripamerica. I've been reading lots of posts! Usually I take part in forums in my mother tongue for planning trips, but concerning roadtrips and California, this one is huge and gorgeus... and I cannot think about any better place to ask for advice.
I'm well aware that this topic is the most popular, but since I have many issues in mind, I've decided to post the whole thing.
We are flying this summer (july) from Spain, half-the-word-away, to San Francisco. 17 nights, and fliying back from Las Vegas (we have plane tickets alreday). We are 5 people, cannot rent only one car, and we'd love to rent a recreational vehicle... it will solve problems of space, accomodation and cooking in one fell swoop. So many of the issues will concern RVs.
Must see places for us (apart from SF and LV): Highway 1 from monterrey to hearst castle; Yosemite; Grand Canyon.
Our innitial planning
- 4 nights on SF, which leaves us 3 full days in the city.
- 10 nights on the road, sleeping on campgrounds prepared for RVs.
- 3 nights on Las Vegas
Day 1.- Leave SF, drive Hway 1, Santa Cruz, Monterrey and Carmel, sleeping arround Big Sur.
Day 2.- Hearst Castle, Piedras Blancas lighthouse, and take CA-41 up to Yosemite.
Day 3.- Yosemite.
Day 4.- Sequoia National Park.
Day 5.- From Sequoia to Death Valley (¿Shermann pass is recomended for RVs?)
Day 6.- Death Valley and Sleep around Barstow, or another eastern location on route 66.
Day 7.- Old route 66 from barstow and sleep in AZ.
Day 8.- Old route 66 up to flagstaff, or other western location.
Day 9.- Reach grand Canyon.
Day 10.- Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, sleep somewhere close to Las vegas.
Day 11.- Delivering the RV to Las vegas (early, before noon)
Map of the route (around 1800 miles):
This is the most ambitious planning we have conceived. But may be lots of miles, loooots if we are traveling by RV.
- Alternative 1: From SF heading to Yosemite. From Yosemite back to Carmel Peninsula, San Simeón. Death Valley and keep going as previously planned. We will be missing Sequoia National Park. (1700 miles) MAP
- Alternative 2: From SF to San Simeon, then to Sequoia Natl Park and up to Yosemite. Taking Tioga pass to Hwy 395, we'll include Bodie and drive down to the Death Valley. (Around 1750 miles). Sequoia park could be missed to save miles. MAP
- Alternative 3: instead of Death Valley, we will visit the mojave national preserve = less miles. ¿Is this sacrifice worth to save miles?
To cut more miles some ideas will be skipping Barstow and Flagstaff.
What do you think about the possible planning. ¿Maybe too ambitious? ¿Not compatible with RVs?
-Concerning Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon. ¿After Yosemite is really worth seeing these other national parks?
Thanks in advance from Madrid (Spain).