I'm hoping you can help my husband and I out with a trip we have planned for next year (late Sept/Oct). We are flying from Australia to New York. Then plan on driving from New York via Appalachian trail somewhat down to Florida. (20 days) Then fly from Florida to Chicago, join the Amtrak train, California Zephyr to San Francisco. (52 hrs) Then explore West Coast for 10 days or so (San Francisco, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon)
I haven't really thought out the West Coast bit too much yet. I'm after assistance with the East Coast trip first.
1. New York (4 nights)
2. Exit via Newark to Lancaster (via Bethlehem & Allentown & Reading - US-22 & US-222) Have a look around Pennsylvania Dutch Country
3. Lancaster to Gettysburg (PA-340 & US-30) (overnight stop)
4. Gettysburg (spend day at Gettysburg) Afternoon drive to Sharpsburg (overnight stop)
5. Antietam National Battlefield to Harpers Ferry Crossing (either MD-67 & US-340 or Harpers Ferry Road)
6. Harpers Ferry Crossing to Frederick to Washington DC (US-340 & I-270) (overnight)
7. Washington DC (explore today) (overnight)
8. Washington DC via Arlington to Front Royal (I-66 & VA-55) commence Skyline Drive - Detour exit Skyline at US-211 to Luray for Luray Caverns - back onto Skyline Drive to the end - Waynesboro to Staunton - (I-64) (overnight stop)
9. Staunton to Charlotte to Charleston (I-81 S & I-77S) to Lynchburg (US60 & State Route 635 & VA130) (overnight stop)
10. Charleston – Visit Hampton Plantation at McClennanville (overnight stop)
11. Charleston to Savannah (overnight stop)
12. Savannah to St Augustine to Daytona Beach to Kissimmee (overnight stop)
13. Kissimmee – Disneyworld today – which Kingdom? (overnight stop)
14. Kissimmee to Sarasota to Naples (overnight stop)
15. Naples to Everglades to Key West (Via FL-90 / Tamiami Trail / US-41 / US-1) (overnight stop)
16. Key West to Miami (overnight stop)
We will have 3 spare days to fit in there – Ideas - drive further up Florida coast back to Orlando to fly out? Fly out from Miami? Stay extra days in somewhere north? Georgia? Stay overnight in Amish Country? Go to coast and visit Myrtle Beach before driving down to Charleston? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I've check out web prices on car hire for 16 days, one way, Australian driver and got quotes back of Economy Car Rentals $1649, Avis $2852, National $2242. This seems very high to me. Am I being ripped off because I'm an Aussie? Can someone point me to a better car hire place?
I must say I've been thoroughly enjoying reading through posts on the forum. Any suggestions / advice would be greatly appreciated.