My name is Ruaraidh, and I'm 21 years old. I'm from England, UK and I'm spending next semester (Jan - May) studying abroad at Chapel Hill, North Carolina. When I'm finished with my studies, I'd really like to drive all the way across to the west coast before flying home.
I've seen a lot of the east and west coasts on previous travels but am yet to explore the heart of America, which is why I think this is such a good opportunity for me. But, a few questions:
- as a 21 year old, will I be able to rent a car? if so, do I need to pay premiums for being young?
- if I cannot rent a car, how should I go about buying a car? will I be able to sell it in CA?
- do I need some sort of International Driving Licence or US licence/permit? or is my UK licence enough?
- what sort of routes could/should I take?
- I was thinking of not rushing things, perhaps take 3 weeks or so over it, how does that sound?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!