I know the route I am enquiring about is a popular one, and I've already got some previous threads earmarked for reading through about where to stop, etc. I hope you'll bear with me regarding my own questions!
My friend and I are both 25 and from the UK (her England, me Scotland). We're doing a one-year work visa in Vancouver, so this is where we live and it's where we have to fly back home from, no question. We go home October 21st and before that, we'd like to do a roadtrip to San Francisco. I'm thinking it'll be end September/beginning of October when we'll do it. Neither of us has been and it looks amazing, as do all the places in the PNW on the way.
Here are my initial questions, as neither of us has done a roadtrip before and definitely not in North America.
1. How should we go about renting a car? Initial investigations tell us we could afford, between us, to rent one for 2 weeks, but I haven't the first clue how to do it over here. I imagine it's similar to back home, and I'm also hoping it'll cost a bit less as we're both 25 (I'll be 26 when we go). We're both drivers back home, but I've never driven on the right-hand side of the road before. If anyone has done this switch, how easy/hard did you find it? It shouldn't be too bad with an automatic, but still I am a teeny bit apprehensive.
2. Is 2 weeks actually long enough for us to drive down to SF and then all the way back? I think it should be, but I'm going by how far away it is in miles. Factoring in stopping-off points, does this seem feasible? (ie not insane!)
3. Is it possible to do a different route back up? I've heard all sorts about the coast, but would we have anything else to see if we took another way back home? I don't even know if there is one! This is very preliminary, but any help would be great.
4. As I said I am going to browse previous threads, and if there are any you can think of that would be particularly helpful, I'd love that. In particular places two 25-yr-old women can go alone and be safe etc. I'm interested in Seattle, Crater Lake... I can't think of more right now!
5. Finally, what's the best way to look into accommodation for a trip like this? I have no credit card so I think booking ahead would be hard (also I like the idea we wouldn't be committed to anything so we can be more free) but are there going to be safe, cheap places available? We'll be on a budget, so if anyone has an idea how much $$ we should think about taking, I'd appreciate it.
Sorry for the length of this post. We're just discussing it at the moment, but it's getting closer and I want to have a decent idea in my head of what we're doing. Thanks in advance for any help!